Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Additions to existing buildings?

Father inlaw wants to put a small addition on to the cabin we have, so we can store boots, coats, etc in it. Problem is he believes he doesn't need to connect the room to the cabin. He can just...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 5, 2015
Who's responsible for legal basement drawings in Mississauga?

I hired a Contractor which supposedly provides plans to get a building permit to the City of Mississauga. They already provided some drawings, but they have to be revised to suit OBC (Ontario Building C...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post January 5, 2015
Can I use weathershield flex before delta fl ?

Got a few small crack to repair on the slab using flex membrane with mesh. Can I put a delta fl over it?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 7, 2015
Advice on adding separate entrance to basement in Mississauga?

I'm planning to add a separate entrance to my basement (step down) in the City of Mississauga. I need some guidance and advice from professionals. How to make sure the contractor is qualified...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 5, 2015
Why lights in house dim when appliances kick in?

Even though I have my dryer and fridge and ac on their own circuits I still notice that all the lights in my house will dim. I've had an electrican check for any loose connections but said everything is...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post January 12, 2015
Can I have a basement bedroom without a window in Hamilton?

I need to build a room as part of getting my basement finished. On one side the code doesn't allow the window to be built (distance from the border is less than 4') and the other side has HVAC d...

Number of Responses 12 Date of Last Post January 6, 2023
Can you put a light in enclosed shower?

We are renovating our main bathroom and are wanting to put a 3 piece fiberglass tub in that has the roof as well. Can you put a light in this enclosure and if so, can we run it off the main light in the...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 29, 2014
Can you level floors by adjusting teleposts?

My son has purchased a house probably dating about 1950's and his floor is high in the centre and low by the exterior walls. Is it possible to adjust the teleposts by lowering them to adjust the high part o...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 17, 2016
Can you re-stucco over popcorn ceiling with a loess textured stucco?

Have had water damage and need new drywall replaced and re stuccoed. Can you re-stucco over popcorn ceiling with a loess textured stucco?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 27, 2014
Cost to build a single car garage with a room above?

I'm looking to build a single car garage roughly 14ft x 20ft with a room above attached to a typical three bedroom bungalow in scarborough. This would be built on a paved driveway beside the house (if t...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 15, 2015
How much overlap is necessary when installing vapor barrier?

I'm installing vapor barrier and just wondering what the code for overlap is at the ceiling, floor and joins in the wall?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 23, 2014
How much to replace ceiling?

I have a bedroom that is 11ft X 10ft. The old plaster ceiling had to be removed. When doing the job, I found that the drywall on the ceiling seemed damaged. I have sound issues so I would like to know h...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 17, 2014
What is maximum distance between the service box and the breaker panel?

My 100 amp service has a fused service switch box and a separate breaker panel immediately next to it, both on a basement exterior wall. I will leave the service box where it is (as req'd by code...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 17, 2014
What are the signs when old plaster walls need to be replaced?

We have just moved into a 900 square foot bungalow built in 1946. It is plaster construction and the floors are sagging towards the middle of the house where the weight bearing wall is. Some of the walls are sh...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 16, 2014
Is it legal for me to replace my own natural gas water heater in Ontario?

Is it legal for me to replace my own natural gas water heater in Ontario? Will my insurance coverage seize?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 17, 2014
What is the going hourly rate for home renovators in Winnipeg?

I am starting a home renovating business and am doing some research on what other companies charge as a basic hourly rate. Thanks....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 17, 2014
How to remove dark scuff marks on light hardwood floors?

I have dark spots and dark scuffs on light hardwood floors. How do I get rid of them? Is there anything that will remove these marks without hurting the floor?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 17, 2014
Cost to stain/finish new maple staircase?

Looking to have our staircase stained and finished to match our cabinets. We are searching for general price range and brief break down of the process/time frame it would take to complete. We have had a few...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 17, 2014
Why do pipes burst on freezing?

Water has a property of expanding while freezing. This property leads to an increase in the pressure exerted by water on the pipes. However, an important point that must be understood is that it's not alw...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post December 11, 2014
What's involved for garage extension?

We would like to extend the front of our garage 2 feet. We would use our existing garage door. Our man door is at the front of the garage. Do we would need to move it to the side of the garage? Please l...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 11, 2014
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x