Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Is repairing foggy windows rather than replacing them a reliable cost effective way to go?

We have condensation in about half of the 21 window units in our home and need to do something about this. We are seniors and will be moving to a seniors accommodation in a few years or longer if our health st...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 4, 2014
Which way do I turn the telepost to bring up the floor?

Our telposts need adjusting in our house. We had a contractor come out and adjusted them but they adjusted too much and when I tried to call them back they wouldn't answer. They dropped the floor too mu...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 28, 2014
Where do I make a complaint about a kitchen company?

I'm a single mom who saved for yrs to replace my kitchen. This company convinced me they would give me the kitchen of my dreams! They ruined and damaged my house making me pay for all there damage and ...

Number of Responses 18 Date of Last Post August 7, 2015
Is losing access to wiring a big concern?

We have a drop ceiling in our basement. Currently there is plain exposed lightbulbs for lighting. We are having our basement bathroom renovated this fall (it's still in it's planning with wife)...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 30, 2014
Is it okay to spray foam and gyproc a garage but not heat it?

I was told if you insulate with pink and gyproc without heating it will cause mold and mildew to form behind the walls. Does the same apply if using spray foam with gyproc board over top of the interior walls a...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 26, 2014
How is the cost of building a deck determined? Is it by square footage?

Does the contractor determine the cost by the decking floor space or the structure overall?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 26, 2014
Is the typical square footage costs the same for a mobile home?

I have notice estimated quotes on here for home additions, etc. We are thinking of down sizing and buying a mobile home. We found one on a nice lot (close to my wife's dad). We would like to lit...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 25, 2014
Is there a solution to reduce sound transfer on old pine floors?

I live in a semi-detached (side by side) home which is over 100+ years old. When the kids next door run, esp. upstairs, the noise transfer is terrible. I do not hear voices/sounds and ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 26, 2014
Can I please get advice on ceramic back splash?

This is the first time I have done a small tile ceramic back splash. Looking for directions and advice on it please....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 6, 2015
Does a basement that has a bedroom have to have an egress window in the actual bedroom or just somewhere in the basement?

We know we need an egress window in the basement if we put a bedroom in, but if the egress window is in the rec room and there is just a regular basement window in the bedroom is it still to code? A...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 25, 2014
Exterior Door Frame

Exterior door frame - should we redo it in wood or composite? Which one is a better choice? We live in montreal and wondering if woood is probably a better choice, since composite is hallow?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 25, 2014
How much would a fence like this cost?

How much would something like this cost?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 17, 2014
Flooring

Hi, I would like to know if it is a good idea to install a hardwood floor over an existing parquet floor? Would it be better to do laminated? Some say the parquett will crack by nailing, ...

Number of Responses 39 Date of Last Post May 14, 2016
What moisture problems could arise from having a wet room?

What moisture problems could arise from having a wet room, ie: steam shower area and jetted tub enclosed together behind glass? Does this pose more of a problem for plumber, drywaller or til...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 17, 2014
What size does a bedroom slider window on a main floor have to be?

Hi, I am currently thinking of replacing the windows in my home as the ones we have are original (1980's) and are loosing us a lot of heat. I've had a few companies come and quote,...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 10, 2014
Is Bamboo flooring any good?

Just wondering if Bamboo flooring is a good hardwood to install ? Thanks...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post June 19, 2020
What is the best type of wood siding - cape code siding?

I am looking at installing Cape Code siding or Gemthane siding, or would you recommend something else? The reason I like wood - it is durable and I can repair it over time....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 7, 2014
Gaps in Laminate flooring

I had laminate installed in my place, and a week later, I noticed large gaps (about 1/2 inch) appear in some areas of my home at the end of the boards. Is there a way to fix this? Doe...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 10, 2014
Adding a two story addition including basement

Considering adding an extra ~400 square ft per floor (~1200 total) onto the back of our two story home. The house was built in 2009. There would be no plumbing required as it is just living space on the...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 4, 2014
Who do I contact about adding a support beam to take out a wall?

I would like to knock down a wall but it is a main support wall. I need to add the support beam to knock out the wall but am unsure who I contact to get an estimate....

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post April 4, 2014
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x