Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Adding a two story addition including basement

Considering adding an extra ~400 square ft per floor (~1200 total) onto the back of our two story home. The house was built in 2009. There would be no plumbing required as it is just living space on the...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 4, 2014
Who do I contact about adding a support beam to take out a wall?

I would like to knock down a wall but it is a main support wall. I need to add the support beam to knock out the wall but am unsure who I contact to get an estimate....

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post April 4, 2014
Price to scrape 250 sq ft stucco ceiling then re stucco

Not sure if painted. Could you send a quote painted or not painted including re stucco? Thanks!...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 30, 2014
Condensation on the inside of the windows

I have a problem with condensation on the inside of the windows. This problem existed since the house was new. I would like to know who I should contact. I don't live in the house. I have tenants that...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 25, 2014
Insulating a Dirt Floor Crawl Space - Cold Weather Climate

Hello! In the process of buying a house. A wartime era 1.5 story house, which had an addition added maybe 10~ years ago (10'x20'). The house has a full basement, but the addition ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 22, 2014
Should I insulate the main floor over a crawl space?

If I should, do I vapour barrier the top or bottom of the joists? The house is a war time house in Welland....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 21, 2014
Gas Fitter in BC

As a Gas Fitter in BC, is there an advantage to having your company LTD. or Incorporated? (more of a legal question I guess) As a contractor myself I was looking for a bit more clarification ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 21, 2014
Can you remove a support wall that leads into the homes addition (the wall in question was originally a exterior wall)

Two story home built in 1920s. An addition was built off the rear exterior of original home. I would like to remove or partially remove this one time exterior wall to open up that separates the addition from th...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post July 29, 2015
Avg price per sq foot for painting and drywall (CALGARY)

Hi, I'm Tyson from Calgary and am just looking to get a ball park price per sq foot for getting the interior of my house painted and a price to finish boarding my bsmt. What would be a fair quot...

Number of Responses 24 Date of Last Post April 29, 2016
Can I attach my new fence to my neighbors posts and fence?

My neighbor has a chaain link fence along a portion of the property line. I want to extend it the entire length of the back yard. Can I attach my fence to theirs?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 13, 2014
Raising the humidity in new construction

We are working on a major renovation/addition and are preparing for the hardwood flooring and kitchen installation (no one is living in the house). We need to raise the humidity level from the curre...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 10, 2014
Shower Drain

On all the TV shows they say that shower drains should be 2", while all existing shower and bathtub drains are 1 1/2". The Plumbing Code states that for up to 2 fixtures that 1 1/2" is ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 10, 2014
Vinyl Siding

Can someone tell me approx what I would be looking to re vinyl side a 2 story house in Langley B.C. The top floor is 1000 SF and the basement is 600 SF. I just need a very rough cost for material and labo...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 3, 2015
When installing rectified tiles should there be a lip between tiles? We were told by the contractor that this is lip is within standard guidelines but there are too many lips.

We went thru a big box store to remodel our washroom and purchased the tiles for both the tub/shower area and floor thru them. When their contractor completed the installation we noticed lips between tiles...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 10, 2014
Glazing stops on vinyl windows

Are these stops designed to seal positively without silicone or should they have been siliconed by the manufacturer? If they are not sealed totally the efficiency of the window is lowered because of the...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 6, 2014
How much would it cost to build a 1000 sqft basement aparment with kitchen and washroom?

Just wanted to know how much would be the cost? Also, if someone could give the break down of the cost? Thanks :)...

Number of Responses 57 Date of Last Post May 3, 2016
Triple glazed vinyl windows are leaking air passed the sash seal allowing frost to form at night, then thawing in sunlight

The windows were installed last September so first winter. When the sun hits the window the ice above the sealed unit melts causing water to run down the exterior of the glass. The humidity in the house is ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 28, 2014
Code for Stud Spacing

I'm renovating our basement and am wondering what code says about stud spacing. I would like to do 24. None of the walls are load bearing....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 28, 2014
Relocating a Dryer Vent

I have a customer with a laundry room in the basement at the front of the house. The existing dryer vent travels the length of the basement and vents outside at the back of the house (about 30 feet). ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 21, 2014
Demo, excavate and pour footings in cold weather

Is it possible to demo (small bungalow with crawl space) excavate and pour footings with snow on ground and in this cold weather? Want to get this project started asap. What are pros and con...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 21, 2014
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x