Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Quoting Software

I am wondering what's out there for estimating and quoting software for reno jobs, small and large. Thanks...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 19, 2013
Garden Pond Remover

Does anyone have experience in removing a garden pond? I have a customer who was asking when I was doing other work there. They want the pond removed and have cut the liner to let the water out. Wha...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 16, 2013
Suspended 2'x4' Ceiling Tile

What would be a fair price material and labor to install a 2'x4' grid with solid type tile commercial job?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 21, 2013
Stucco vs Vinyl Siding

Hi, I need to replace the aluminum siding on my house, but can't decide between stucco or vinyl siding. What are the pros and cons? I have brick on the bottom that would be remaining, ...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post June 20, 2013
How much would it be to build a garage?

Hello Contractors, Wondering how much it would be to build a garage of this size from start to finish - 22' x 12' garage? Thank You!...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 16, 2013
Foundation Repair

I need to know if blue seal can be applied over asphalt tar coating or does the tar coating have to be removed? I need an urgent reply, have to get it done in two days from now....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 9, 2013
Setting a Post for Backyard Gate in Gravel

I'm in the process of replacing a stone patio in my back yard. As part of this project, I'll be extending a fence and putting in a gate to the back yard to block the space between the house and t...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post June 13, 2013
Stucco on the house - want to put up new vinyl siding

Hi, I have an old 1950s house and currently it has aluminum siding and then stucco underneath. We want to remove the old aluminum and put home wrap, styrofoam insulation and vinyl siding up. So t...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 1, 2013
Jackpost

Where could I buy an adjustable jackpost that is 11 feet tall? Thanks! Julie...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 31, 2013
Leaky Basement

Whenever it rains towards the back of the house the rain tends to leak into my basement walls. I had it waterproofed 3-4 years ago which stopped the leakage. 2 years ago I had the back stormdoor replaced by...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post May 30, 2013
Basment Reno - remove existing drywall or not?

Hey there, I'm currently planning a basement reno and I'm stuck on a certain point. I currently have 1" of rigid foam on the walls with some strapping and drywall on top of it. I want to fu...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 13, 2013
basement bedroom soundproofing

Hi, I want my basement (suit) bedroom to be really soundproof. Right now it has only false ceiling of foam tiles. What are my options and what would be the cost associated with that? Thank...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post May 30, 2013
Sidewalk/Patio Cement Crumbling

My parent's patio has been maintained as best as my Father could over the past 50 +years but now there are many spots that are just completely crumbled. I don't know what he did exactly to maintain ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 23, 2015
What is a good siding to use on a house?

My husband and I built a log home 25yrs ago. Now we are looking into covering the outside with some sort of siding. We are looking at Novik Shakes (gives the look of cedar shingles) and fusion stone. ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 30, 2013
Attic Insulation

Hello, I live in Saskatachewan and purchased my first home approximately 1.5 yrs ago. The house is 80yrs old, but the roof was recently reshingled (3yrs old). We had record snow falls this ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 28, 2013
Exterior Wall on Slab

I purchased a older house late last year and have been working on the renos. The house was lifted in the mid 70's to put in a new basement, and I believe it was at the same time they enclosed the space...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 26, 2013
Basement Bedroom/Office

I have a storage space and a closet next to it in my basement and I want to open them up and turn the space into an office/bedroom. The only issue is that it currently does not have a window in that area. T...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 27, 2013
Small Bathroom

I was wondering if I can get some suggestions on my bathroom floor. My husky tore a hole right through the linoleum, right through the wood. We've covered the hole with a board so we don't fall thro...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 27, 2013
Kitchen Floor

Hi, I had a leak in my kitchen from the patio door. I replaced the door and they cut out the water damage in floor and fixed the hole. At the same time they cut a hole in my lenolium floor. Now I need fi...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 27, 2013
Foundation Repair

I have a house that was built roughly 80 years ago. It is on a brick and mortar foundation that is starting to let in quite a lot of water and looks to be deteriorating in some spots. Is it dangerous to dig...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 23, 2013
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x