Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
House Shifting - Paint and Grout Separated and Cracked

Hi! My husband and I live in an old character home (1932). In November 2011 we gave our kitchen and our entire upstairs floor a complete overhaul. We ripped out the old hardwood throughout the dinin...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 13, 2013
Main Support in Basement

We have just recently gutted our basement to waterproof and renovate. Our main support beam consists of 3 2X6's (?). It is currently being supported by a wall of more 2X6's spaced at about...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 6, 2013
Main breaker trips when large appliances are on simultaneously

Hey everyone, I've had this problem for probably 5 years now. The main breaker would trip whenever the following combination of appliances were running simultaneously: dryer+oven, dryer...

Number of Responses 15 Date of Last Post July 24, 2015
First Basement Renovation

Hello, I own a small handyman company, doing small to med renovations. You know eventually you have to start somewhere and expand your business appropriately. Recently I got referred to a basemen...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 26, 2013
Vapour Barrier Basement Floor

Hi there, I'm tiling my basement bathroom and am wondering if a vapour barrier is necessary. If so, what is recommended? Thanks...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 26, 2013
Smooth Ceiling on Main Floor of Back-split Bungalow

Is fire-rated drywall required for ceilings in a bungalow or can regular drywall be used?...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 3, 2013
Cedar Roof Repair

Hi there, I have a cedar shake roof with 7/12 roof pitch. There is a small leak coming from the valley. I would like to know the average price per lineal foot to replace about 20 lineal foot of ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 27, 2013
Wires Behind Drywall/Bathroom Light

Hello, I was wondering if someone might know how safe or unsafe this is. I took our bathroom light off the wall and this is what I found behind it! The wires are pulled through the drywall! ...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 3, 2013
Bathroom Plumbing Vent Question

Hi all, I am just in preliminary stage of an ensuite bath and have a question about venting for a bathtub, which may ultimately deem where it will be located in the room. The room is now empty wit...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 27, 2013
To repair, replace or remove an electric fireplace

We've a home improvement idea for our condo to build a entertainment wall unit. But to do so, I'm not certain whether we want to keep the electric fireplace that is the focal point of the wall. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 27, 2013
Subfloor Over (possible) Asbestos

Hi, We recently moved into an older home (1950s) and were planning on replacing some laminate flooring. The floor has old linoleum under the laminate, which may or may not be asbestos. We ne...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post February 27, 2013
Approx Cost for an Addition

We are trying to plan some options with our house and want to know approx cost for an addition as follows: 2 storey, 150 square feet both levels. Will be bedroom/office space - no plumbing requi...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 4, 2013
Kitchen reno - moving a gas stove by 3-4 feet

Hi, Just wondering - if we want to shift the location of our gas stove by 3-4 feet, should we have a gas fitter cut and lengthen the gas pipe or simply run a longer gas hose from the existing pipe un...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post February 26, 2013
Home With 2x4 Walls

Hi, My son just bought a home that needs extensive reno's. It has 2x4 walls, a gable end that we want extended six or eight feet, new kitchen, new bathroom, panelled walls removed and...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post February 26, 2013
Considering Fireplace Options Before Switching to Gas

I live in Ottawa. My house was built around 1954. It has a brick chimney and wood fireplace in the basement. I am in the process of re-finishing the basement. When I bought the house 3 years ago, I had a ch...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 4, 2013
Fiberglass or Paper

What is best to use on ceilings? Fiberglass or paper?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 1, 2013
Water Under the Basement Concrete

I have bought a 15 year old house that has septic system. There is a sump pit, but no sump pump. There is NO connection to the pit, but the water slowly leaks into it around 6" below floor level. I ...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post February 28, 2013
How to Remove Moisture From the Walls / Drying Wet Walls

Bathroom walls are soaking moisture, need advice to prevent and cure the issue ? Thanks!!!...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post May 30, 2014
Popcorn ceilings decorative tile

I have another question about covering popcorn ceilings with decorative tile. I have seen this online where you glue it on over top of the popcorn ceiling. My question is will it stay glued on over time or ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post February 18, 2013
Placing Beveled Cedar Siding Over Shiplap Siding

I have a HO that wants to refinish the outside of their house. They presently have 5 inch flat shiplap siding. It is in good shape (flat, no waves, no cupping) but the wife does not like the loo...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 20, 2013
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x