Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Popcorn ceilings decorative tile

I have another question about covering popcorn ceilings with decorative tile. I have seen this online where you glue it on over top of the popcorn ceiling. My question is will it stay glued on over time or ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post February 18, 2013
Placing Beveled Cedar Siding Over Shiplap Siding

I have a HO that wants to refinish the outside of their house. They presently have 5 inch flat shiplap siding. It is in good shape (flat, no waves, no cupping) but the wife does not like the loo...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 20, 2013
Prep For Metal Posts For a Chain Link Fence

I've had a huge dog run done in the Stouffville area with just "pounded" in posts. I was told that there would be less chance of frost heaving them up. It was a solid run, and seemed to work wel...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post February 17, 2013
Popcorn Ceilings

Our house is 40 years old and we have done some reinsulating and hung new drywall. We want to get rid of our popcorn ceiling but have read that there could be asbestic in older homes. Can you just put new d...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 22, 2013
Aluminum Wiring

Hi, I have a question for any electricians out there! My house was built around 1974 and has aluminum wiring. The outlets were all switched within the last year but regular outlets were used. ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 23, 2013
Distance

How do I expand my distance?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 23, 2013
Composite Wood Decking

I have been approached to build a composite wood deck a little later in the season. I haven't worked with this material but have seen some not so nice results. I have several questions, please. Is o...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 14, 2013
Need software to make 3D sketches of future projects

Hello everyone, I have a small construction/renovation company specializing in new construction or additions. Till recent time we have been working with auto cad for drawings preparation and use our...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 19, 2013
Referral Fees or Bonuses From Contractors??

I just wanted to know if renovation companies/renovation contractors offer any referral fees to homeowners like myself who know other interested homeowners who would like to do renovation projects such as a...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 11, 2013
Building Temporary Load Bearing Wall

We want to build two temporary load bearing walls on either side to support the weight of the floor above while we replace the real load bearing wall with beams. What is the max allowable distance by code t...

Number of Responses 12 Date of Last Post February 10, 2013
Basement Insulation!!!

We had originally bought Roxul Safe and Sound insultation for our exterior basement walls. But, was thinking of changing it to Roxul Comfort Batt for exterior walls. I was reading an article from Mike H...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post February 10, 2013
Discounts for Group Buying

I am interested in renovating my basement as well as 2 of my friends in my neighbourhood. We were thinking of approaching one basement contractor whom we all like to finish our basements as we all need to maxim...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 7, 2013
Smoothing a Painted Popcorn Ceiling

As we all know, smoothing out an unpainted popcorn ceiling is quite easy (albiet messy!). However, I have had a few requests recently to smooth out a popcorn ceiling that has been painted...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post February 6, 2013
Why Free Estimates?

I have a question for all contractors in the Toronto area. I have been in the home improvement business for over 40 years and ever since I can remember we give free estimates (why I dont know). So, ...

Number of Responses 33 Date of Last Post February 25, 2013
Vapor Barrier

When you apply vapor barrier do you only put accoustic seal along the bottom and then tuck tape the seams or do you apply accoustic seal in the corners as well as the top?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 6, 2013
How Much to charge?

I was recently let go from the renovation company I've work for, for the last 12 years. I guess because of the time I've been there I was too expensive and i've probably been replace by someone...

Number of Responses 19 Date of Last Post August 2, 2015
Dryer vent distance from gas meter

Does anyone know the minimum distance a dryer vent has to be from a gas meter/fresh air intake? Thanks, John...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 5, 2013
Wet Behind Interior Wall Behind Insulation

We decided to try reinsulating one room in the house which is always really cold. We are using the rolux. When we took the drywall off the wall there was a couple large areas on the wall that were wet behind th...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post July 25, 2015
Beam pocket or concrete pilaster

I am replacing 2x6 load bering wall with steel beams. We are joining the steel beam to existing foundation wall with either a beam pocket or concrete pilaster as per the drawing. Which is better and which o...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 5, 2013
Using bondo to fix wood, and repainting over

Hi, I was told on the holmes on homes forum that I could use bondo to fill in wood spots that had some minor rot I picked out, instead of using wood filler. Has anyone had success with this? Any...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 4, 2013
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x