Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Least Expensive Carport for RV

Are there any suggestions for a cheap way to build a carport that is open on all sides, only has a roof. It needs to be big enough to cover a fifth wheel travel trailer, 45' long, 13' w...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 31, 2012
Going rate for caulking windows.

Hi there, I was just wondering what the going rate for caulking windows and doors, as I know some charge $15 per opening. Thank you for the time and info....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 25, 2012
Replacing windows

Is there a "best" time of year to do this?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 31, 2012
Please give me some advice on this problem

I am renovating a bathroom for my customer. I have finished the tile work and started the installation of toilet, vanity, shower etc. I have finished toilet and vanity. but the shower and the medicine c...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post November 2, 2012
Little jobs other than the contract

I want to ask the contractors what to do when the client ask me to do those small jobs other than the contract. For example. if I am renovating the bathroom the customer asks me nicely to hand the mirror or...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 3, 2012
How do i get on bid lists for condo complexes?

I have started a landscape maintenance company in calgary and am trying to find ways of establishing work. This is not a scaby fly by night set up, i've invested around 70k in this. I am fully insured...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 25, 2012
Update on my basement finishing project and 2 new little questions

Well, I had posted this http://www.handycanadian.com/forum-post.asp?section=408&cat=10-Home-Improvements&topic=2331-Finishing-My-Basement-And-Have-Some-Questions--T3a...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 29, 2012
Gas fireplace insert

I recently decided to put a gas insert into our fireplace in the family room. On further inspection removing existing glass doors that the inside of the fireplace is one big metal box. Now this is a full brick ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 23, 2012
Installation of laminate flooring

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what a contractor charges per sq ft for installing a floating laminate flooring. I had purchased laminate flooring from Rona and I had a friend install 650...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post November 15, 2012
The addition room at my house is sinking at one corner.

The addition is a small room 3mX3m and at the exterior corner (the other tree corners are attached to the house) there is a sinking - like 2 cm in 12 years. How can this be repaired?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 17, 2012
Attic insulation

Is it best to spray over existing insulation and how much dose it usually cost to do a house built in 1956, about 1800 sq feet? Can we do it ourselves? Where would you get the machine and product...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 26, 2012
Tile cracked

I put down real cheap tile from a lumber store on the floor of a kitchen and bathroom in a mobile home. I first put down 1/4 inch good one side plywood and screwed it every 6 inches everywhere. But the tile...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post October 20, 2012
Attaching 2 adjacent bathroom fans with a Y

I'm currently renovating our M bathroom and added a Panasonic whisper fan in the ceiling, this bathroom is close to another bathroom that currently has the same Panasonic whisper fan and was wondering i...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post October 17, 2012
How do I repair uneven floor tiles without ripping up entire floor?

I recently had the tiled area of my main floor replaced (approx. 600 sq ft). You can check my experience in an review of Team-X-Treme on this site, but the result is that the tiles are poorly insta...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post October 15, 2012
Wrong Grout Colour used - Too Light......Help!!

Our tile guy messed up and did not buy the grout I chose. Now we are stuck with a brand new ugly floor tile job. How can we darken the grout on a newly laid Chiseled Edge Travertine Stone Floor? Is ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post October 13, 2012
Slab on grade foundation

Looking at building a new home and was looking at all the different foundations set-ups. Has anyone done a slab to grade foundation? Are they permitted to be built in Ontario?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 14, 2012
Foundation Issues

Hi all, I am interested in buying a house in the East York area of Toronto and went to see it a second time yesterday. I didn't notice how in bad shape the foundation is. I know pictures can'...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post October 18, 2012
Drywall installation

Should their be seams above the door frames and windows and if there is what are the possible consequences? Which should be installed first the ceiling or wall drywall>...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post October 13, 2012
One Year Tarion Items To Be Fixed Builder Doesn't Agree

We are at the one year for our new home, and there is a few items that we want fixed. Let me say the rest of the house is done very well and we are happy with the overall build. Item #1, the electri...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post October 12, 2012
Tools

Hi there, Anybody know if there are any dealers around GTA selling automatic taping tools? Thanks....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post October 10, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x