Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
2nd floor in garage

Do I use 2x4s or 2x6's for the 2nd floor of my garage? The garage is 25ft x 25 ft and the 2nd floor will carry a medium load. I'm just not sure what code is....

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post August 22, 2012
Extending my deck using concrete blocks

My deck is approximately 12 ft high. I have a raised bungalow and the deck is attached to the house. Can u tell me if using concert blocks is safe for a high deck? The blocks are secured on a large ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 22, 2012
Basement Stairs and "balusters"

Hi there, I found this "cute" link that shows a stair case using boating cleats and rope as balusters. http://arielanajman.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/stair-railing/ ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post August 21, 2012
Under floor heat

My house has under floor heat system it has water lines running on the joist 1" below the floor. They are presently just covered with pink bath insulation R12. With no air gap. I was woundering if I sho...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 15, 2012
Thinner door frame for replacing a 34" door with a 36" front door

Hi, My current front door is a 34" door and including frame the width from inside is 39.5" but from outside brick to brick is 36.5". 1st is possible to avoid cutting the brick and still ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 14, 2012
Underground Electrical Service Entrance Under a Deck

I would like to extend my covered porch over an area that has a 200 amp underground service line, and a water line to the house. The hydro meter is located on the transformer pole to the side of the lane wa...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 9, 2012
Electrical

I have a house that is 60 years old with the orginial electrical. It has been blowing fused when the upstairs uses a hairdryer and downstairs toaster is used. I am concerned for safety as well. Is this a fir...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post July 26, 2015
Best choice for the basement flooring?

Hello, What are the best bulletproof choices for the basement flooring in terms of moisture protection and mold prevention, but also liveability? Our basement was flooded and needs to be redone ...

Number of Responses 17 Date of Last Post April 17, 2015
Basement and entrance renovation

I have many ideas for my house renovation, I do not know where to start and I do not know if it is affordable what I want to do?? First the basement is half finished. I want to add a bathroom and...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 21, 2012
Dryer Vent

We're moving our laundry to the main floor, and I'm wondering what trade to hire to vent the dryer outside? It will have to either go up through the attic or down through the crawlspace. T...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post August 30, 2012
Electrical wiring in homes built before 1985

I recently bought a home built in 1962. There were ceiling fans in almost every room in the house. I decided the one in the kitchen had to go. I took it down after finding the breaker it was connected too, ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 2, 2012
Need advice for entryway...

Hi everyone! I have a very limited budget to transform my entryway, that's why I'm thinking of doing it by myself. I want to utilize that space as much as possible...Currently there are a ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 30, 2012
Drywall dust

On the first day, demolition day, my daughter closed her door and we went out, as anyone would. The workers opened her bedroom door to place their tools in her doorway. They were demo-ing the room ...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post September 23, 2012
To insulate or not to insulate?

My house was built in the 50" at the time of latt and plaster. The main floor bathroom (4 piece) is not insulated. I asked if the workers are going to insulate and they told me it would not make an...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post August 21, 2012
Plaster Cover Moulding

I have been lucky enough to get enough unused original plaster cove moulding to help in my vintage home restoration, but have been unable to find any information on installing it! Any advice?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 24, 2012
Metal Carports

I am looking for a metal carport with A frame, what is the best manufacturer?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 24, 2012
New windows installation with or without brick mould, before stucco ?

I am planning to replace the wood windows to my 1950 brick bungalow, with new PVC windows, and add stucco with polystyrene for increased heart insulation. Some window manufacturers recommend not inst...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 24, 2012
Hardwood versus Laminated Flooring

Hello all, Quick question... I am planning to replace my carpeted floors to a hardwood/laminated flooring... I will do it my self as an IT guy wanted to do it. Which one easy to install between Ha...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post August 8, 2015
Vent Cover

I am looking for a local supplier for a 12" x 24" ceiling vent cover, the louvers protrude approx. 1.5" - 2" below the dropped ceiling tiles. I have found online suppliers in the US but woul...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 23, 2012
Re-Roofing project

Our project consists of reroofing our small town hotel. We were looking at purchasing some pump jack scaffolds but did not know which were good and which to stay away from. Any suggestions? What we hav...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post August 17, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x