Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Basement framing

I would like to frame in a bed room wall with one door. I was wondering do I leave a gap between the foundation wall and the first floor joist? And when I put the bottom plate down to the concrete flo...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post July 28, 2012
Interior handrails

Hi - Is there code requirements in Ontario that posts can not be horizontal (to 'allow' climbing)? Thanks...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 18, 2012
Underlay For Laminate Flooring

If the laminate has underlay already attached to the tiles, can you still use another underlay underneath that?...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post September 11, 2015
Deck / wood preservative on end cuts

Hello, My contractor did not use wood preservative on my new deck. Is the use of endcut preservative a must?...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post July 17, 2012
Are any Hamilton area professionals looking to give back to their community?

Hello Hamilton professionals, I am with Liberty For Youth, a non-profit organization that focuses on prevention and intervention for at-risk youth. We will be purchasing a new building soon to hav...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 10, 2012
What are the size requirements for a fireplace hearth ?

My old hearth seems to be small for my fireplace and I would like to know what the size requirements are....

Number of Responses 15 Date of Last Post June 14, 2018
Garage Floor

We have an attached garage which we are currently renovating. Have a problem with water pooling - because the original concrete floor dips up to 5 inches from the garage door. The floor is in good condition...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post August 21, 2012
Contractor Woes

I HIRED a contractor/company to do my driveway, walkway, and steps, pattern concrete and this has turned into a nightmare. I gave him 15000.00 dollars so far, 5000.00 by check and the res...

Number of Responses 32 Date of Last Post May 11, 2016
8' Closet door

I have a closet door opening 46"x 96" and I would like to put a door in it. My dilemma is, should I buy a special order sliding door (like the original one) or re-frame the opening to fi...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 26, 2015
Sidewall exhaust vent issues with icing (relating to deck building)

Hello, Our sidewall exhaust vent ices up a lot over the winter. We are wanting to expand on our deck this summer and it would end up being directly below the vent. This is an example of the kind of ice b...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 5, 2012
Blown in insulation depth

My new house (well new to me) has blown in insulation. How deep should that isulation be to equal r-25 or r- 40. Thanks for your advice!!...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post July 11, 2012
Is it possible to lower/raise floor joists?

I own an early-80's multi-level split with about 5 different levels. Inside the front door is basically a 8x6' landing leading to four steps (30 inches up) which brings you to the "main"...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 3, 2012
Bearing Wall

What size beam do you need to span 11 feet for a bearing wall? The house is a two story and we are opening up the kitchen area and taking down the bearing wall. Is there a web site or beam calculator sit...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 11, 2012
Veneer plaster

Having trouble locating the product. Can you offer suggestion as to where I could purchase Veneer Plaster? Based in Calgary Alberta. Thanks...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 1, 2012
What to know about Brazilian Cherry Hardwood?

Hello, After researching, we decided to purchase Brazilian Cherry Hardwood for the lower level of our house (Kitchen & Living Room and tiny vestibule in between). I've posted a project f...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 1, 2012
Framing basement bedrooms

I am purchasing a house that has a wide open basement. I am intending to build a bathroom and maybe a bedroom or two in the basement. Do I need to get an engineering or architectural report before applying ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post July 26, 2012
Option needed for new front porch

What are the options re material to replace a 5x8 pressure-treated porch with 4-4' steps? The pre-cast concrete that we've seen looks cheap, natural stone is likely too heavy, and expens...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 28, 2012
Privacy fence

How tall can I leagally build a privacy fence between me and my neighbor?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 28, 2012
Addition to 100 year old house

We have a 100 year old house with a stone foundation. We want to add on to the house, but will need to add a full basement to the addition (38' X 20' addition) We do not intend to access the...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 25, 2012
Need direction in basement renovation

I have just purchased a 50ish year old house with 50% finished basement. I would like to renovate the basement in phases (if possible) for budgeting purposes. Could anyone suggest the course of acti...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 25, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x