Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Septic Tank

A very long story. We have a septic feild that is in need of replacement. We just yesterday had the tank emptied, long story short is the feild is old terracota and we thought we had a distribution box and ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 2, 2012
Foundation Waterproofing

Would you fill in any crack or holes in foundation with hydraulic cement before applying foundation waterproofer?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 11, 2012
Sunrooms

I just wonder do you need a city permit to build a sunroom in New Westminster? If permit needed how do I get one? Do I need a permit only if the sunroom exceed certain size? Thank you...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 12, 2012
Subfloor

I was considering using Delta -FL or Super Seal to lay down over my concrete basement floor. What would I require to level my sub-floor(osb or plywood)? Could I double up on the above where I nee...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 7, 2012
Adding a full 2nd story to a 1.5 story house

Hello, I am looking for a rough cost for turning a 1.5 story house into a 2 story house in River Heights in Winnipeg Manitoba. The main floor is roughly 1000 sq feet. I would like 3 bedrooms and 2 bath...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 27, 2020
Levelling concrete floor

Is it cheaper to hire a concrete company to level a concrete floor, or to DYI using concrete levellers? I have to level the concrete sub-floor in a 14' x 30' room....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 4, 2012
Which Is The Most Durable Flooring Material For Stairs? Laminate, Engineered Hardwood Or Hardwood?

My very unskilled, unprofessional, expensive but claimed to know how to anything handy man just finished the laminate flooring in my living room and dining room after 7 days of work on a 450 sq ft space...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post September 11, 2015
Basement Wall adjoining Garage

I'm currently going through a basement renovation. Should the wall adjoining the Basement and the Garage underground be insulated? It's been suggested not necessary, however I don't feel s...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 1, 2012
Basement Framing

We are finishing our basement and my dad said we needed to brace in between the two by four on walls to prevent the wood from twisting. When I try researching this I don't see anywhere that it mentions this...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 29, 2012
Laminate in Basement

Hello has anyone ever heard of Lifestepp Laminate, it is being sold at Hardwood design center in Burlington and is down from 4.99 to 1.99 sf. It is 15mm and has a 25 year warrenty. I can't find any revi...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 31, 2012
Removal of Load Bearing Wall

I have a 36" opening in a load bearing wall, (10 ft wall) that I am thinking of widening to 5 or 6 feet. Taking into account, permits and drawings by a structure engineer, what type...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 28, 2012
Reduce water usage

I'm a producer at Shaw TV Calgary working on environment related segments. I'm wanting to do a segment on homeowners reducing water usage by simply upgrading items like faucets, toilets and showerhe...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 9, 2012
Adding extension

To add an extension means to dig up and expand the basement; however, the cold joint between the old basement wall and the new might seep groundwater. How to avoid such a possibility?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 1, 2012
Extending basement outside

I would like to increase the space of my basement by extending it outside the existing perimeter. My worry is the new created joint between the old concrete and the new concrete of the wall. What is the best ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 31, 2012
2nd story addition

What is a general cost per sq ft to complete an addition excluding fixtures, and wiring? ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 14, 2012
Basement Canning Storage Room

I started my basement project two years ago. My home is a bungalow built in 1963 with a cement block basement that was left unfinished. The project began by digging out exterior of basement, re-tarring wall...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 27, 2015
Must Skylight Installers Know and Follow Building Codes?

I have been advised by a skylight installer that they are not required to know code, but must follow it if someone tells them what it is. From my point of view, I rely on them to know and follow code ac...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 31, 2012
Hardwood floor refinishing

I want to refinish the hardwood floor in my son's room. We like the current color, so don't want to have to re-stain. If I simply want to "refresh" the urethane, is it as simple as renti...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post July 22, 2015
Basement flooring

I have been looking at different types of options for basement flooring and I am curious about the vapor barrier as some indicate that it is required and other are saying that trapping moisture between the barr...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 4, 2012
Architect or not?

We are planning an addition to a bungalow - keeping the bungalow style. 2 bedrooms 1 bath and a den. Do we need to pay for an architect? If not, who can assist with drawings to get us to the point of ac...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 5, 2012
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x