Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Basement Tile

Can you apply ceramic tile directly to basement concrete with use of thin set?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 12, 2012
Cost of drawings to obtain permit

I would like to have an addition done over an existing garage. No change to roofline since there's a big open space over the garage. Though we expect to have to do structural work (new floor support s...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 1, 2012
ETS Heater

Hi, my ETS heater is not working right it keeps turning off and on repetidley and coming up with p 96 error 24. Any ideas what it might be?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 20, 2012
Ceramic floor in basement

We are installing sleeper style sub floor in basement and want to put ceramic in bathroom. What do we need to apply to subfloor before tiles. We want to prevent movement and cracking tiles and grout. Do you rec...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 12, 2012
Basement Subfloor

We are finishing our basement and are doing reasearch on sleeper style subfloors and was wondering if anyone could give us advice on it. We read that you should put felt paper directly on concrete with sleepers...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 11, 2012
Attic stairs

Where can we buy pull down attic stairs in Hamilton, Ontario? My google search wasn't very successful. Thanks, Klaudia ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 10, 2012
Pre-hung door dealers

Hi everyone. We are close to finishing our basement and now need to purchase some pre-hung doors. We need to purchase 5 in total, but have run into a bit of a stumbling block, as 2 out of the 5 doors...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post January 9, 2012
Cold Cottage

I would like to fill in the space between the ground and the cottage so I can keep the cold out. Whats the best way?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 8, 2012
Finding a water stain source on a ceiling

I will try to be concise (if I can!). I will be visiting a customer next week to try to find the source of the water causing stains on her living room ceiling (I did an initial look see). In...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 12, 2012
Maximum spans for steel beams supporting floors in dwelling units

Hello, I just need help comprehending this chart from the OBC (BUILDING CODES) BOOK. Im confused about the rows containing the lengths. Which row(s) is the beam span and which row is the...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 27, 2012
Basement finishing

We are planning on finshing our basement with a couple bedrooms, bathroom and bar area. We heard that you should use typar on the concrete walls so the wood does not touch the concrete. Just wondering if th...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 10, 2012
Removing Popcorn Ceiling

Hi there, What is the cost to remove the texture, sand and repaint the ceiling in a 2400 sq foot home with vaulted ceilings? All the rooms are textured except three bathrooms. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 27, 2012
Removing a basement wall

At the risk of sounding incompetent here, I have a question about remvoving a wall. My laundry is a large, wasted space and I would like to remove two sections of wall to create a larger family room in...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 4, 2012
Drop Ceilings

We are looking to finish our basement in our 40 year home build on block foundation. Our problem is the windows are to high up to use a drop ceiling. We are planning on changing the windows. We would really lik...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 3, 2012
Electrical rough-in

I will be installing/or having someone install t-bar ceiling in my basement. Should I do the electrical rough-in for pot lighting before or after the t-bar? Also, what is the ideal flooring for a...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 20, 2012
Basement Reno & Codes

I have been getting mixed messages from folks as to what type of wood I can use to frame my basement so I can insulate it. I want to use plain 2x6 spruce but some have told me I can not and must use PT (pr...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 3, 2012
Bad Contractors

I have an issue with a contractor. He has not been paying the trades - this is concerning. I have requested invoices from the contractor and now he has not shown up. What should I do? Help! ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 1, 2012
Basement Wall Insulation

I bought an old home (over 50 years old) where the basement foundation was made of blocks. I'm planning to finish the basement myself and definitely could use advise from the experts. I notice...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 30, 2011
Convert a cottage basement to a crawlspace

The cottage basement is about 20 feet by 25 feet and 7 feet tall. It is musty, wet, completely unfinished and to us serves no purpose. We are enquiring if turning the basement into a crawl space is a ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 20, 2011
Wartime bungalow

Has anyone done renoavations to a wartime bungalow? I've purchased a small bunglow, built in 1945, with not many renos. I'm interested in several projects (expanding floorspace either ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post December 29, 2011
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x