Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Vapor Barrier Between Wall and Concrete Floor

Hello, I'm finishing my basement and installing an interior wall. I used a black plastic as a vapor barrier between the bottom of the wall and the concrete floor. Will the plastic be enough or should...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 5, 2011
Restain the deck and railings

Hi, we have two decks, approximately 8ftX24ft and 20ftX 15ft with railings around; also we have Above ground pool attached to the 8x25 deck; right now its has Solid stain; we would like to rip that stai...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 3, 2011
Building addition sideways

Hi there, Looking to get some figures on how much it would cost to add an addition to an existing bungalow. We want to expand sideways to essentially make the front portion of the addition as an attached d...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 7, 2011
Basement escape window size

Hello, How do I find out what size my basement window needs to be legally to use it as a living space. Also, I would like to know if it is legal for me to have a small two burner countertop stove in...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 14, 2011
siding

Hi there. I would like to know the reasonable cost for the following provided by a reputable contractor in reasonable time, including gst and pst 1. Eavestrough's material and installation per un...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 29, 2011
WINDOW AND FIBREGLASS DOORS

Hi - I recently got a quote from a company to put in a front door, back door, and replace a small window in our bathroom. The doors will be fibreglass (front door has small panel bevelled glass)...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 1, 2011
incompetence?

Please tell me, if you have a contractor, the own obtained the building permit in the lower mainland, provides the stamped drawings and they quote a job with the explicit instructions on the permit ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 1, 2011
Building a garage

How far back from a residential street can a garage can be built in edmonton? I have a corner lot duplex with a double concrete parking pad right now & am thinking about building a single garage ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 28, 2011
Replacing/Fixing Ring for Toilet

Hello Everyone, I just bought a new toilet and when i when i removed the old one this morning i noticed that the ring that secures the toilet to the ground/pipe is broken. From what i can see and hav...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 28, 2011
Deck---Railings

I am repairing a deck -replacing stairs /deck boards . The railings were actually 4 by 4 post with lattice between. Terrible. Looked like a play-pen . When I removed them to rebuild I liked the open look an...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 4, 2015
Unfinished basement wanting one part made into a room

I want to create a room in my unfinished basement so I would nee floors and walls and a electrical plug and a door. So basically i need a basic room done. I want the floor 12 by 10 and 8 feet tall. How much wou...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 29, 2011
ENTRY WAY DOOR

Can I paint aluminum door andif so a local contractors name is appreciated....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 15, 2011
Hardwood flooring

I am looking at getting some hardwood put in in 2 different rooms, the old flooring is already striped out i just need the new stuff put in. The type of flooring im putting in is the trillium 5/8 bamboo...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 1, 2011
roofing

Hi would like to know what I could expect tp pay for my new roof-square footage-its 1200 sq foot house with regular slope nothing special--bungalow thanks...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post July 9, 2011
Old aluminium siding - value?

We want to change the exterior facing of our 1971 bungalow. It is currently wrapped with aluminium siding. I am told that this is very valuable. Does anyone know what it's worth per sq foot? I'd...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 8, 2011
Basement Renovations

Hello, our house is approximately 60 years old. The basement is just under 500 sq ft with a ceiling height of 75 in. We are thinking of renovation the basement and are curious to know what lowering the b...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post July 29, 2011
Re-Stucco or Recap

What is the best method to repair spider cracks on stucco, The house was built in 1965. I have also changed some windows that will require the missing stucco installed, the main concern is that how good...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 28, 2011
Sub floor in Basement

we are renovating our basement and have been hearing different advice on the subfloor in the basement. We are planning to put in laminate flooring. Is it better to put down a sub floor or am I just wasting my...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post September 7, 2011
Adding 2nd floor/storey - how much does it cost?

We live in Vancouver and we'd like to add (put back) the 2nd floor of our almost 100 year old house. Right now what used to be the 2nd floor of our house is just a huge sundeck but it used to have b...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 25, 2011
basement leakage

Hi, My basement leaks and i was wondering how do you start to get it repaired. Thanks...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 10, 2011
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x