Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Removal of wall, uncertain of load bearing or not

We are looking at a house to purchase, only there are two walls that I do not like as they are on the way of making the upstairs an openconcept, one from the dining room and one from the living room tha...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post September 1, 2011
Powdered Metallic Shelving unit

Is it possible to get a spowedered metalllic shelving unit resprayed a different colour.? I'm not sure where to get this done. Help!...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 17, 2011
Mold Remediation

I recently had a contractor tell me that the mold spots we are seeing in insulation caused by condensation are not actually the mold but feces created by the mold. I am not sure of the credibility of this and ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 1, 2011
Painted Wallpaper

We have an older home. Masterbedroom and our youngest daughter's bedroom were painted...over existing wallpaper (upon "expert" advice from big box store associate). We now want to remove i...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 13, 2011
Stonetile

I was curious if anyone has seen and used their product. They had something where I sent a home photo in, then Stonetile alters it with their product on it. I was blown away on how beautiful it looked. Now ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 13, 2011
driveway

I have a 25 by 50 foot driveway to do what is cheaper concreat or pavers Thanks Rick...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 17, 2011
Installing hardwood over preexisting hardwood

I need some advise. Last year i hired a contractor to install approximately 380 square feet of hardwood on my first floor. He did a horrible job, the wood buckled and he had to cut out some sections to t...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 1, 2011
Fiber-cement siding

I am wondering if fiber-cement siding is commonly used in southern Ontario ? If so,what are the known problems with it and are there health concerns with asbestos ? Thks for your input. AJ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 16, 2011
Radiant Heating in floor

We are in the process of deciding if we should go with forced air heating verse radiant heating in between the floor joists...for a cabin that we foresee in living in year round. Question about the difficulty ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 16, 2011
Removing paint from a brick fireplace

We just purchased an old home (1958) that has a painted brick fireplace in the main living area`s. I purchased from paint stripper for brick but it doesnt seem to be working well enough to continue on.....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 4, 2011
redo basement

I would just like a rough estimate on how much it would cost to completely fix a basement thats leaking from the walls and the floor as well,its approximately 650 square feet and approximately 8 feet high&#...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 2, 2011
renovate or tear down and start from scratch

My 30 year old home needs extensive work. It is structurally sound but needs new windows, siding, plumbing, wiring, 2 bathrooms and a million little things. Is it more cost effective to repair o...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 1, 2011
Turning a basement into a suite -electrical issues

We are planning a reno in the basement to turn it into a rentable suite. I am wondering if we will have a problem with the electrical system given that the whole house is on the 100 amp circuit and the upstairs...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 29, 2011
Bad contractor

I hired a contractor to do a project. He started it took a pile of my money and didn't finish it. We didn't have a contract. What should I do?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post October 1, 2014
flooring

what would be the best flooring to put in are kitchen and living dinnig room with having two dogs in the house looking at carpet and vinyl or laminate not shure what to look at Thanks, Rick...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post July 6, 2022
Replacing old stucco with new

Our house was built in 1966 and is a single detached two-story. The top floor is clad with old stucco with a pebble dash finish. It is in decent shape but with some small minor cracking on one of the sides. We ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 26, 2011
Man in the middle - Roofing a townhouse

Seeking suggestion. I live in midlle townhouse part of a 4home towm home complex (freehold). One would think that if my roof leaks, the rest of the homes can also be at the stage where it needs s...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 9, 2012
Office Repairs

My firm has just consolidated offices and we need to have repairs done at the old office before the end of the month. We need to: (a) remove all white boards (approx. 5) (b) fill ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 16, 2011
Insulating a Bunkie Roof

Greetings. I'm looking at insulating my bunkie roof. There is no attic and the trusses are made of 2x4's. The roof is shingled. I am interested in preserving space so after insulating I would like to ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 20, 2011
Roofing

If a person asked to do your roofing for you and is not covered by WSIB. What would happen if the guy hurts himself or falls of the roof Is the homeowner responsible for the gentlemen injuries etc.?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 17, 2011
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x