Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Insulating a Bunkie Roof

Greetings. I'm looking at insulating my bunkie roof. There is no attic and the trusses are made of 2x4's. The roof is shingled. I am interested in preserving space so after insulating I would like to ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 20, 2011
Roofing

If a person asked to do your roofing for you and is not covered by WSIB. What would happen if the guy hurts himself or falls of the roof Is the homeowner responsible for the gentlemen injuries etc.?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 17, 2011
Replacing siding (and TenTest or not?)

I have a 30 year-old home with vertical shiplap wood siding.  The old siding is cupping, cracking, etc so I want it replaced.  The old siding nailed directly over 5/8" TenTest (basically t...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 5, 2015
reno on 1968 bungalow

I have just purchased an older bungalow. I am looking to reno the main washroom, expand and reno a small ensuite and put a large built in wardrobe and convert 3 small bedrooms into 2 larger bedrooms. I als...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 26, 2011
Cost of aluminum gutters and gutterfilter

I'm looking to replace the aluminum gutters on a 1959 Canadiana-style house. 2 straight 62 feet gutters and 4 downspouts required. First pre-tax estimate for gutters is $1240 fitted and existing gutters...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 4, 2011
Dishwasher space? - with more info and pic

Hi, I wrote before but I dont think that I was specific enough - here are some pics too... A space for a STANDARD dishwasher was supposed to be put into my kitchen and this is what was done. Has it been ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 14, 2011
remove structural brickwork

My house is a 1921 brick semi. I have a window that I would like to change to a door. The rough opening is wide enough however the height is too short. I will need to remove the exterior cement window sill and ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 2, 2011
GemThane siding feedback from pros and homeowners

Hi all, I want to check if anyone installed this product and got any feedback from homeowners about it. Its relatively new product for siding compare to Cape Code or Maibec or any other wood siding pro...

Number of Responses 38 Date of Last Post May 2, 2016
Patio Above Garage

Just wondering about building a small walkout patio from our Master bedroom where theres a window ?patio would be built above the garage. Wondering a rough estimate $ and weather or not this is a job i...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 19, 2011
Dishwasher?

All answers are greatly appreciated! I would like to know if a space any less than 24" wide is acceptable as an opening for standard dishwashers. Would the space have to be 24" wide all the way to ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 4, 2011
Finish Basement Insulation Requirements

I am finishing my basement in Milton, Ontario. Can anybody tell me the MIN requirements for insulation. I know the best practice guide states full height basement insulation is advised, but what is the ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 28, 2013
Deck Build (Wilberforce Ontario)

We are looking to have a deck built for the first week of May. Deck size 24ft by 10ft no higher then 1ft off ground. Please help...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 2, 2011
second floor addition

hi i am inquiring what the costs would be to add a second floor to my home. current sq ft 1450 would like to add 3 bedrooms and 2 baths on the new floor. What would the costs of such a renovation low to hi...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 30, 2011
gas fire place insert

Hi I want to put a gas insert in my wood burning fireplace. I dont know any something which can be done. I need the cheapest solution which is safe. Pls help. Any infrmation is welcome....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 17, 2011
Repairing stucco

We've got stucco that's craking and warping on our extention. We've seen several potential methods of repairing it, including fixing the cracks, paiting it with special paint, replacing ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 20, 2011
Facsia boards

Hi there, My question is what kind of material is best to use when installing facsia boards that will be capped? ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 16, 2011
Driveway options

I purchased a new house last year (Detached 2 garages). One side of the driveway has a slope of only 0.76% (8 cm drop in 10.5 meters)...and the sidewalk is already below the curb. The other ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 16, 2011
When does a basement window well require weeping tile?

I have a seven year old bungalow in Gatineau with poured concrete foundation. The builder installed three basement windows, all a few inches below grade, so all with window wells. However, only on...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 15, 2011
We want to put a basement under our mini home?

We currently have a 56x14 mini home. We would like to put a basement under it . Also we are going to put a 2 room addtion on one end. We are looking for contractors with experience in these area. ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 30, 2011
Bringing gas in to our electric heated home

How much does it cost to bring gas in to a residential unit? We livein Burlington Ontario in a small townhouse complex. I know that some of the units have gas heating, but pretty much all of them are ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 20, 2011
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x