Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Wall between crawl space and main basement

Should this wall which is between the main basement and the crawlspace have a vapour barrier installed? The crawl space has 2 " stryofoam insulation along the entire perimeter wall with a thick membrane...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 10, 2011
Deck

What is the best way to attach a new deck to my home so I don't chance allowing water or moisture into the wall I am attaching it to....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 10, 2011
Adding insulation to an existing home

Can anyone give me some ideas for the average costs of adding insulation to an existing home? We have a 100 yr old home that has brick/plaster walls and absolutely no insulation. Can anyone tell me how...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 9, 2011
Glass Block Windows: Basement

I am currently looking at a home in Ontario that has glass block windows in the basement foundation walls, four in total. There are no other windows in the basement that can be opened, nor is there a do...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 9, 2011
Brick Chimney

I would like to know how much it would cost to have a chimney removed that is located in the center of a bungalow. The chimney needs to be removed because it doesn't move when the rest of the house shifts a...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 5, 2011
Crawl Space

My basement has a crawl space (full space, i.e. under the entire basement floor). It is realtively large basement and has 2 rooms, a full bathroom, fernace room and a large living area. The ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 9, 2011
Stairs case for apartment building

Hi just wondering if any one could kindly give me an advise on what is the best option for flooring to put on the stairs case at 3 story apartment building. thank you Supatra...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 8, 2011
Where to start when considering a home addition?

We love our 1000 sqf bungalow and do not want to leave. As we love our home and location, lot is quite large, we are considering a large additoin to add a master suit while updating the 50 year old ki...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 18, 2011
Basement Renovation

How do you figure out if it's worth the investment to raise a house off its foundation to improve the basement depth and use. Is this even possible with a hundred year old house?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 4, 2011
Safe to open up a main floor stairwell?

I have a typical 1920 Toronto semi where the stairwells leading to the basement and second floor are against the inside neighbour adjoining wall, one above the other. The house is only 15.33 feet wide, ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 30, 2011
Help

How do I get warranty work done when the contractor won't reply? Patrick Brost with Tradesman Group installed some french doors that need to be corrected. He replied through this website....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 16, 2011
new garage

We were looking at buying an older home that currently has a carport. What would be the cost to build a brick garage, either attached or not? 12-14 x 20?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 21, 2014
Please help! I need advice since I am young and inexperienced.

Hi, I am a young individual who is inexperienced in hiring a contractor but I am sincerely looking for help. Please guide me through, please. I have received 2 quotes from 2 different contractors....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 17, 2011
framing

How do you frame an unfinished basement for drop ceiling?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 12, 2011
Half wall

I want to build a half wall in my basement. Approximately 16 feet long. What approximately should it cost to frame, drywall, mud and tape? Carol...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 7, 2011
Installing Glass Inserts on Kitchen Cabinets

I was just wondering what the cost per cabinet door is to install glass inserts. Just a ball park number as I have no idea. Thanks! ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post August 10, 2015
Cost of Converting from electric baseboard

We are currently house-hunting and one of the houses on our list has electric baseboard heating. Before we "fall in love" with this house I want to get a better idea of what it would cost to convert to...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 27, 2011
Wallpaper Stuck to Drywall

We want to remove the wallpaper stuck directly to drywall in our diningroom. We have tried a steamer but it's a real mess..the drywall is ripping and we've had to stop. The paper has been on there for...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 6, 2011
basement framing

Can I build the frame pc. by pc.instead of framing and putting up as one unit [wall] and if not useing pressure treated should I have some cloth or something to keep the celment and wood from making con...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 30, 2011
How do I create a page for my business on here?

How do I create a page for my business on here?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 26, 2011
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x