Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
basement framing

Can I build the frame pc. by pc.instead of framing and putting up as one unit [wall] and if not useing pressure treated should I have some cloth or something to keep the celment and wood from making con...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 30, 2011
How do I create a page for my business on here?

How do I create a page for my business on here?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 26, 2011
Framing basement concret wall.

My basement walls are gyprocked except for the foundation walls which are concrete. I am about to frame in the remaining concrete with 2x2s. My questions are around how to insulate and do I put up vapour barr...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 5, 2011
basement walls

we had the basement flooded, and since then we have had weeping tile put under the cement floor on the outside edges of the basement walls. the contractor who did it said we couldn't nail the walls t...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 18, 2011
subfloor on slab on grade

I am looking to add a subfloor to a slab on grade constructed home. Has to be to code. Could you provide step by step instruction, or guide me to a site where I could get the information I need? Tha...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 5, 2011
Landscaping Costs and Ideas

Hello! I am considering a complete redesign of our front and back yards with a trendy landscape layout. It would include a lot of stone work, grass and decorative flowers and trees, a two level deck...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post October 16, 2023
Finish Basement

What is the floor covering on a basement cement floor (note: the basement floor has already been painted). How do we insulate and cover the basement walls -- what products do we use. ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 10, 2015
Looking for a few small updating projects to be done: tile setting, plumbing and electrical.

Looking for professional assistance: plumbing, electrical, landscaping. Small jobs need updating....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 14, 2011
HVAC HRV

we are thinking of retrofitting a HRV system into existing forced air furnace. Can you pros suggest any tips make models do's donts and cost involved?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post February 12, 2011
sound proofing and 15 minute fire rating for basement ceiling

Hello Pros: we have just purchased a raised bunglow with above grade accessory apartment. Since the ceilings are already drywalled and painted we are not sure if type x drywall has been used or if there is...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 10, 2011
Cold upstairs

My total upstairs is always so cold ..The walls floors the whole rooms is very .I had enebridge in numerous times they said its just upstairs not a problelm with the heating.If the heat is set to 72 downstairs ...

Number of Responses 20 Date of Last Post February 14, 2011
support beam

I would like to remove one of the posts that support the structural beam in my basement to open up the area, my question is can I increase the strength of the original beam or can I replace part of the orig...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 15, 2011
Driveway

We had a new driveway done at our home in Delhi. After the first rain fall we experienced several birdbaths (low spots) in the driveway. We called the contractor and he looked at it and said he would pa...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 20, 2011
Hardwood wholesaler

Hi there, I was wondering if any one knows where I can get a great deal on hardwood flooring in the GTA . I am looking for either pre-finished or unfinished Canadian maple or oak (approximately 2000 sq...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 28, 2015
Cost of Hardwood flooring

We found some boxes of maple hardwood flooring when we moved. Its about an inch thick. We will sell it but don't know what a fair price is per box. Any suggestions? Thank you...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post July 15, 2022
How Can I Become an Apprentice?

How can i become an apprentice in the electricty field?there is no enlish school in my area ?what do i have to do? thank you...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 7, 2011
ICF and radiant heat construction - What is more energy efficient

What is more energy efficient in eastern Nova Scotia (Guysborough county) which has oil or electric heat available, radiant heat floors or a heat pump?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 2, 2011
Building in Stages- ICF and radiant heat construction

We plan to build in stages. First stage will be ICF construction to the roofline and finish the roof. Cover ICF and window openings with water proof material. Can we fore go putting in radiant heat and concret...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post February 12, 2011
Cool Draft Coming From Windows

I have 4 double pane windows in the family room that seems to be producing a draft. This is not only an energy concern but these windows are right behind our couch where we watch TV, sending the draft right...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post February 8, 2011
Need Some Advice????

We bought a home about 5 yrs ago. We are now trying to determine wether to repair or rebuild since there seems to be alot of repairs needed. The House was built in the 1950's we have no basement. We live ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post February 15, 2011
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x