Pin Pricks in Drywall

Question Icon
Posted by: from Oshawa
7/25/2013 at 4:46:38 PM

The previous owners used the unfinished drywall in the basement as a dartboard! Now I have a section covered in pricks that have raised surface around each hole.

What's the easiest way to repair?

I'd really rather not have to pull it all down.

User Icon
Date/Time7/25/2013 at 5:22:17 PM

Buy some drywall compound. With the butt end of a putty knife, run it down on the affected area, essentially making a long dent, then apply the mud over it. Sand it, paint it.

User Icon
Alex from WestGuard in Surrey
Date/Time7/25/2013 at 6:03:28 PM

Hi Joanne,

It will depend on the severity of the problem and how large an area is affected.

For a small area you can press in the lips with the round handle end of a screw driver, for example, or just try to sand them down flat. Then apply drywall compound that can be purchased at a DIY store with a putty knife, let dry, sand, and paint if required.

If its a larger area you could remove an area from the drywall, insert a patch (if you have spare drywall around), tape, apply compound, sand, then paint. This can be much more complicated and difficult to execute as you have to be careful of what's behind when cutting the patch out, supporting the patch if required, and achieving a nice even finish afterwards.

If you have punctures all over the place, it may be more time efficient to simply pull the panel(s) out and replace them.

User Icon
Date/Time7/25/2013 at 6:40:01 PM


Take a pencil and push into the pin prick to make them a little larger. Buy some drywall compound (most types will do) and go over the area spreading the compound with a drywall trowel (like a small scraper). Try to "push" the "mud" (that's what it's called) into the holes and you're done.

It may take a couple of coats, but nothing special has to be added. If you end up with extra dry mud on the wall, just take a damp cloth and spread the residue over the area. You're fiished.

Good luck.

User Icon
Date/Time7/26/2013 at 7:32:44 AM

It would depend on how extensive the damage is. If it is not to severe a little plastering and a light sanding should do it. However if there is a lot of damage in an area it may require patching. I don't think any drywall would need to be changed if it was only darts causing the damage.

Mark Bakelmun

User Icon
Date/Time7/26/2013 at 7:39:02 AM

It will all depend on how severe the damage is. It sounds to me as if all you need is a little plaster and a light sanding.

Mark Bakelmun

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.