I have a few questions. I have experience in renovations and looking to start my own business. I live around the Brantford area.
1) Where is a good place to call to get info/approved for a business?
2) Do I need any certain licenses to become a general contractor?
3) Do I need to hire license electrician/plumbers to do work on certain aspects of a customers home? And would I have to charge the customer for there services or would it come out of my money?
4) Another one is about billing the customer and how the government taxes work. Say I make $3000 off a customer how much does the government take? And do I charge that to the customer?
4) Is there a good site to go to for pricing out jobs for drywall, framing and etc. just to compare my estimates to the competition?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Really love renovations just don't want to rush into anything.
1) When I started my business in Brantford I found Enterprise Brant was very resourceful. You'll also find the ladies at BRC (Brantford Resource Center) Downtown helpful too!
2) Yes, contractors do need a contractors licence.
3) It is always best to hire a licensed electrician/ plumber. Not only do clients feel at ease when you do it also covers you when something goes wrong. I have worked with contractors who have tried to take the short cut of hooking up a kitchen sink and have flooded a basement!
4) When billing customers you will need to charge HST on top of your cost to the clients as most jobs are of a higher price range.
Good luck with your venture!
Thanks for the input Misty! So if I wanted to start a renovation company I couldn't because im not a "licensed" contractor? Or I could but would just need to hire a licensed plumber/electrician and so on?
Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.Find your home service pro