Removing a wall

Question Icon
Posted by: from North York
7/23/2018 at 11:32:08 PM

I would like to take down a wall between the kitchen and living room. How do you know if its a load-bearing wall and if it needs to be reinforced with crossbeams?

User Icon
Date/Time7/24/2018 at 12:31:46 AM

If you are able to see above the ceiling you will see the ceiling joists and if they are perpendicular to the wall you want to remove then it is a bearing wall and will need a header installed. if you see that the joists a parallel to the wall then you are good to remove it. hope that helps you.

best of luck.

User Icon
Dave from 360renos in Ottawa
Date/Time7/24/2018 at 7:00:33 AM

Morning Mayo,

Just remember if you decide to take down the wall you will be required to have a Building Permit wether it is structural or not.



Dave Bennett

Owner - 360renos Inc.

User Icon
Date/Time7/24/2018 at 10:41:42 AM

You have to consult a structural engineer / experienced contractor for such evaluation and consultation

User Icon
Date/Time7/25/2018 at 6:02:06 PM

Hi Mayo.

It should be checked by a qualified structural engineer to determine if a wall is load bearing. In most cases if the joists in the basement run perpendicular to the wall to be removed, it is load bearing. if joists run parallel it is non load bearing.

User Icon
Date/Time7/26/2018 at 2:47:39 AM

You haven't said whether the wall is on the main floor of a 2 storey home or if there is only the roof above.

If it is only the roof and you have access to see the framing you should either see a stick framed roof (roof & ceiling joists, collar ties, etc.) or roof trusses. If it is roof trusses the loads are normally carried on the outside walls only. If there is a 2nd storey above then you also need to analyze the floor structure to see how the loads are carried.

Anyone familiar with reading the various span tables in the Code should be able to analyze the structure - i.e. a knowledgeable framing carpenter, general contractor or someone like me who is a Safety Codes Officer. It should not be necessary to involve a structural engineer unless there is some unusual circumstance such as butchered framing or something outside of the span tables in Part 9 of the Code.

One further note is that if it is a load-bearing wall and it is being replaced with a beam naturally you will need to see that the supporting structure below (floor system, any supporting walls down to the earth) also conforms to Part 9 Code rules or else is engineered to Part 4 requirements. If a supporting beam below is now being point loaded this is also a situation that requires engineering as it is outside of Part 9 rules.

Ian Derksen

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors