Categories

Should I raise my jackpost supporting a 130 year old hand cut beam?

Question Icon
Posted by: from London
12/29/2021 at 8:39:22 PM

The center beam in the cellar of my 150 year old house (new to me) is 2 inches lower than the outside walls. The beam appears to be original, and is 8 x 8 the length of the house. Is it a bad idea to start turning the jackpost again? Previous owners lived here 5 years and never touched it.

REPLIES (3)
User Icon
Mike in London
Date/Time12/29/2021 at 8:50:36 PM

Adding some pics

User Icon
Dennis from Custom Touches in Winnipeg
Date/Time12/30/2021 at 11:22:11 AM

This house has taken 150 years to get to its present day spot. So screwing the post up can be attempted in small increments to gradually get it moving back and it may be stubborn and never go back to original. By raising it you will incur plaster cracking and possible door issues. When raising it you need to listen to the house. Raise it maybe 1/2 and leave it a couple months and do it again and again until it finds its spot. You will hear creeping going on with season changes but that only means it is trying to get to the spot you want it at.

Good luck.

User Icon
Mike in London
Date/Time12/30/2021 at 11:53:14 AM

Thanks. That's what i figured. I am going to invest in shims for my furniture instead. It has definitely found where it wants to be.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x