Soft area under corner of bow window

Question Icon
Posted by: from Hamilton
5/7/2020 at 9:12:05 AM

We bought an old home built in the 1960s. I started noticing a crack in the paint under our bow window but didn't think much of it. Eventually, a loonie sized soft area started to appear on the cracked area. Water has not penetrated. It looks as though the previous owners patched this area of the wall before we moved in. The window is the original window and I will be looking to get it replaced this summer.

My question is, what do you think I will have to do with respect to the wall? Do you think it is just a small patch job or will it be an expensive and extensive endeavour?

Picture attached. Note: we make the small hole in the top to try and see if there was any moulding issues...doesn't look like it.

Soft area under corner of bow window
User Icon
Aaron from Brigadier Group in Pickering
Date/Time5/7/2020 at 10:34:27 AM

You will be able to address this when the window gets replaced. For now, if you do have any water ingress, you should mitigate that before continuing with any other work. If the soft spot is getting worse over time, find the source of the leak and stop it. Otherwise, it is likely just from the building settling over time. In which case, should just be a standard re-installation with some frame and drywall work.

This is pretty typical for window re-installation in a home of this age. Get yourself a couple quotes from different reputable contractors. Keep in mind that replacing windows is a little more expensive than simply putting new ones in.

User Icon
Date/Time5/7/2020 at 12:04:58 PM

Sharon, It is difficult to tell without opening the area. It sounds as though there is/was a leak that penetrated the corner of the window and, ... at least, saturated the drywall in the area. It may also have damaged (rotted) the studs and other supports. The fix should not be too costly but should be done before future damage occurs.

User Icon
Sharon in Hamilton
Date/Time5/7/2020 at 12:21:08 PM

Would a window installation company be able to handle this or do I have to to get in touch with a general contractor?

User Icon
TrustedPros Inc. in Toronto
Date/Time5/7/2020 at 12:37:19 PM

Hi Sharon,

We hope you find this discussion forum helpful.

If you wish to hire a contractor for your project, may we recommend submitting your post in the Get Free Estimates section of our website, by following this link: We will locate top-rated contractors that specialize in the services you require.

Kind regards,

TrustedPros Inc.

[email protected]

User Icon
Date/Time5/8/2020 at 10:02:21 AM

Hi Sharon,

if i look close it looks like the damage start from beside the frame of the window and go down and out at the end of the lower drywall,

so it exits at that spot but maybe not happening there it might even come from a spot above the window and travel down,

you have to remove some drywall and see where the leak is starting, and then you can see if it is from the window,

in any case you can do it with the replacement of the window,


Harry C.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors