Starting home renovation business in Ontario

Question Icon
Posted by: from Toronto
3/13/2017 at 4:09:41 PM

I am planning to start a Home renovation business from a scratch. I am not a professional person but have some clue about the building maintenance. My question is if I give my project/contract to third party to complete the work do I still need to be certified in Electrical/Plumbing stuff? And what kind of agreement can I make with subcontractor? Is their any website where I can download the forms and then I modify them according my contracts?

Thank you.

User Icon
Date/Time3/14/2017 at 11:10:08 AM

Hi Tabsm,

First off You must register with the Ont. Gov to get your Business Number / HST. Then you require Liability Insurance to cover yourself if problems occur. If you take on sub-contractors to do Electrical or Plumbing that are not licensed ,you are looking for trouble, never do that. Any sub-contractor you do not know you take on must give you a written estimate detailing the work they will do for you, if you agree and if any deposit is paid, this is considered a contract you have with them in the province of Ontario. You will always be responsible for what they do, Except for Electricians & Plumbers because they are licensed and usually must get permits for there jobs on there own.

User Icon
Date/Time3/14/2017 at 1:18:14 PM

I concerned that you are setting up a business in which you have no experience or knowledge of. I would advise taking on a partner with such experience. this could be a costly lesson for you if not prepared.

User Icon
William in Ottawa
Date/Time3/14/2017 at 6:08:22 PM

A weekend warrior is not a contractor...maybe a handyman. Stick to that! Don't deceive anyone pretending to know more than you do!!! No offence...find something else where you can't hurt someone else's investment.

User Icon
Date/Time3/14/2017 at 6:33:54 PM

Hello Tabsm,

Here is a link to the standard "Stipulated Price Contract" created by the Canadian Construction Documents Committee, it is known as a CCDC 2 contract:

You will also need to get yourself some CGL (Commercial General Liability) insurance, in most cases the insurer will require that you obtain WSIB - E-clearance certificates from any subcontractors.


Scott Ahonen, B.Eng.


BIA Contracting Inc

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors