Substandard fortbuilding skills, my daughter's house may have to be condemned

Question Icon
Posted by: from Windsor
11/25/2016 at 11:40:08 AM

My daughter hired a friend to do work on her home for flood damage earlier this year. My sister and I have just come from a visit with her and her 2 children. The home looked lovely.

We noticed some noises coming from the kitchen that night. We mentioned the noise to my daughter and she stated she thought she had a mouse coming from under the sink cupboard. My sister looked under and noticed a large pool of water. My daughter stated it happened after the improvements were done. We also noticed that the holes for the pipes were very large, We looked at an apple on the counter, and realized it had been partially eaten by a rat. The next night we heard rats in the walls going up the stairs. It must have been playing with the electrical wires because we could hear marettes tapping on the walls. We also noted numerous serious, dangerous electrical problems, such as, no gound fault interrepters in the kitchen or bathrooms, My granddaughter uses her curling iron above the sink in the bathroom every morning. The kitchen counters were not measured properly, so, the kitchen stove's oven door chips the wall every time she attempts to opens the oven, and the dishwasher cannot fit under the counter. If 2 small appliances are turned on, it trips the breaker.

My daughter had a serious brain injury 4 years ago, that has left her less capable of making good decisions, She is a single mother working a low paying job, She would need a representative to help her to get the right way to proceed in actions to have these serious problems corrected. I live far away, and am on a small pension, What can be done?

Thank you for listening

User Icon
Date/Time11/25/2016 at 1:44:54 PM

Look up the Better Business Bureau and or the Chamber Of Commerce in your area, and get 2 or three contractors with good reviews to give you estimates to correct the problems. Once you have these estimates in hand, go to the " Friend " that did the job and ask him to fix the problems by a certain date ( reasonable time frame ) If the Friend cannot fulfil there part of the verbal agreement in that time , you must tell them you will have no choice but to sue them for the cost of the cheapest estimate to fix the problems they said they were going to fix.

User Icon
Date/Time11/25/2016 at 2:35:24 PM

Call your closest "Legal Aid" and tell your story. There may be some free legal advice and assistance. As to the work, because it was a friend and, sounds like, not qualified to do the work, ... not a good situation. It appears as though the safety codes were not followed and other precautions were not considered. Sorry to hear this story but it's why we all recommend using a qualified person.

Good luck.


Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors