support beam

Question Icon
Posted by: from Guelph
2/9/2011 at 9:25:03 PM

I would like to remove one of the posts that support the structural beam in my basement to open up the area, my question is can I increase the strength of the original beam or can I replace part of the original beam that is goinig to cover the span. The span is about 14'

User Icon
Mission Valley Home Renovations Ltd. in Mission
Date/Time2/10/2011 at 1:20:23 AM

A 14 foot beam is not bad to change to be able to remove the post, you have some options, 1 : change it with a paralam beam or 2 : a steel beam, either way you need a tech to come in and they'll tell you what size of beam you would need. Hope this helps

User Icon
Date/Time2/10/2011 at 12:31:48 PM

For your own protection and safety of the occupents in the dwelling. Under the Ontario Building Code you should be hiring a structual engineer to review work and prepare the plans for a building permit if you wish to have this done. A qualified contractor or a knowledgable handyman with the direction of the engineer can easly accomplish this.

User Icon
Date/Time2/10/2011 at 4:22:49 PM

Hi, we have undertaken many basement restructuring projects and as previously advised an engineer would have to specify the beam to be used and any revisions in point load footings, etc. In basements we always use steel beams because of head room issues as they are typically smaller than the LVLs that would have to be used. There are also a couple of other issues to be aware of. First, existing floor joists are not typically level and steel is dead straight so care , prep work and planning must be excercied as not to damage the floor etc above. More importantly, you will be displacing a greater load to two new point loads which very well may require new footings. Also temporary sturcture on both sides of the existing beam would have to be installed to pick up the weight before a new beam can be installed.

Feel free to call if you have further questions or require clarification.


Kingsway Construction Inc.

Glenn Rosborough

User Icon
Metro Ontario Contractors inc in Maple
Date/Time2/10/2011 at 8:29:14 PM

l would consult a structual enginer before any beams are moved

User Icon
Date/Time2/10/2011 at 11:01:49 PM

Hire a Structural engineer is the very first thing you should consider. Get the drawings done by him and apply for permit.

I can not stress enough the importance of the engineer before under taking any work. Good Luck.

Miguel Benitez

User Icon
Wade from K2 Contracting Ltd. in Trail
Date/Time2/15/2011 at 2:01:18 PM

You can get a beam sized by your local building supply store. They will require a bit more information though...span, tributary width (this is the width of joists that crosses the beam to the next support on both sides of the beam), any point loads from above(existing walls and columns that support uppper structure)...if unsure of any of these or their location, please consult an engineer.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.