To update an Electrical u need a permit?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Burlington
5/25/2008 at 8:19:52 PM

As I asked, do u need a permit to upgrade our Electrical Panel from Fuses to 100 or 200 amp? Is 100 amp efficient with a Bungalow household or should you pay more for 200amp? Who has to contact the hydro utility company prior to the work starting? Does a City inspector have to come in and approve work after completed?

User Icon
Date/Time5/26/2008 at 5:12:40 PM

Hi Anne, any work that relates to electrical requires a permit. If you are using an electrician with a master license, they have the ability to pull a permit with the Electrical Safety Authority (E.S.A) in order to have the work inspected at both the rough a finish stages of the job. As a home owner, you can also call the ESA to obtain an electrical inspection regardless of which electrician you use. it is always a good idea to get a permit as it will ensure that the work is inspected so that any issues can be detected and rectified quickly. The electrician will also be able to answer any questions you have in relation to how sufficient you panel is with respect to your households current electrical devices and any new ones you may be thinking of adding. Hope this helps.

Andrew Galletta

The Toolbox Group Inc.

User Icon
Anne in Burlington
Date/Time5/26/2008 at 6:51:25 PM

Thanks Andrew, your input was extremely helpful. Anne

User Icon
Date/Time1/25/2011 at 1:39:28 PM

Hello; To upgrade your panel yes you need a permit from esa and only a electrical contractor can pull a permit,. Hydro only dose the disconection by removing the meter and the reconnect once it has passed inspection from esa(electrical safety authority), the electrical contractor does the rest.

User Icon
Maqsood in Mississauga
Date/Time9/21/2018 at 9:35:57 PM

does anyone know how much ESA charge? do you have to get ESA approval before approaching hydro? I got an electrician, he said he can upgrade it, then he contacted Hydro and hydro is saying upto my meter is only 125AMP. contractor is claiming that I need to pay for my permit that he already submitted. does it sound right?

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors