Vapor Barrier Under Base Plate

Question Icon
Posted by: from Kitchener
6/23/2020 at 12:44:38 PM

I'm using regular (not pressure treated) wood as my baseplate. Should the vapor barrier under this piece be wide enough to lay flat on the concrete floor (between the concrete wall and the studs) or be long enough to fold up the wall a few inches?

User Icon
Date/Time6/23/2020 at 5:47:34 PM

I would use PT for sure and use a sill gasket from foam onset the plate or plastic na diet it wrap the stud at least 3 inches

User Icon
Date/Time6/26/2020 at 5:41:48 PM

I would use pressure treated lumber where it comes in contact with concrete. There is the sill gasket or plastic will work, but the main concept is to prevent any moisture from the concrete being absorbed by the wood. Remember, this is the bottom of your walls so you don't want to encourage moisture (rot or mould.) spend the extra and do it correctly.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors