Variance needed

Question Icon
Posted by: from Midland
7/1/2016 at 8:48:04 PM

I want to have a garage added to the north wall of my house. I know that I need a variance, but I don't understand the required paperwork. Who do I hire first ? Do I hire a contractor first, an architect or some other specialist? The size of the garage will depend on the cost.

User Icon
Date/Time7/1/2016 at 10:08:52 PM

I would start with the architect. You are going to need the drawings before any contractor can give you a proper estimate.


James Fram

User Icon
Date/Time7/2/2016 at 11:14:37 AM

You have to hire either architect or engineer to have a proper drawings for the permit purpose as well as for a proper quoting.

User Icon
Date/Time7/2/2016 at 11:25:35 AM

Contact a structural engineer. They'll draw up plans and with that you can call contractors for estimates.

Happy building!


Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.