What City licences do I need for renovations?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Montreal
10/15/2014 at 3:32:57 PM

I just bought an apt downtown. The building is old (1914) but the inside is well kept. I would like to add a bedroom (I have the space), and split the bathroom into one full bathroom and one powder room.

Do I need any special licenses from the city, the board of the building, etc?

How do I dispose of the construction garbage (3d floor)?

User Icon
Chris from FC Construction in Oakville
Date/Time10/19/2014 at 3:03:57 PM

You should definitely get approval from the building board first off. Then they will require certain information about the project and ask that some requirements be met especially if hiring a contractor. From there you can submit very simple drawings to the city for approval and go from there.

My advice, find a good contractor on TP. A lot of projects look simple but require a lot of experienced knowledge, DIY shows sometimes fool homeowners into thinking they can renovate any part of their home and get professional results.

Good Luck!

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors