Categories

What does it cost to wire a 4000 sq ft new home?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Peterborough
5/26/2016 at 4:12:52 PM

My husband and I just bought a lot in town of Peterborough. What are the going rates to wire a house of this size? What are the going hourly rates and costs per sq foot or opening.

I've been told t's anywhere from 12000 to 16000 for basic rough in. Is this a fair price?

Sandra

REPLIES (3)
User Icon
Date/Time5/26/2016 at 5:11:45 PM

Just won a bid on 4000 sq/ft home in Toronto. Roughin, 200amp panel and 150 potlights - $32000

3 other contractors priced it around $50000.

I honestly can't imagine anyone doing it for $12000, that was my material cost.

User Icon
Date/Time5/27/2016 at 11:16:53 AM

Hello Sandra,

I'm not sure the going rate in Peterborough is but in London that pricing is a little low. I would be looking at $20,000 to $25000 for a basic rough in and finish.

Have fun with the new home.

Ian

User Icon
Date/Time5/28/2016 at 10:23:19 AM

I believe Ian's comment is valued. I think the $20 to $25 range would be fair for a basic job.

Couple of additional things however; I would look at getting a demand calculation completed. I don't think a 200 amp service will cut it for a 4K sft house.

The second thing now is the requirement for AFCI breakers on many of the circuits in the home. This adds costs (going from a $6 breaker to a $50 breaker) for the same circuit(s). In addition now panels used will have to be larger as many contractors that like to use the twin breakers cannot; this adds costs also.

One other consideration is the number of fixtures / potlights / ceiling fans; while the client generally supplies the fixtures some of them require an hour's worth of work just to install; especially if they are on vaulted ceilings or if lining them up is critical (potlights down a long hallway).

John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x