What should I do with this window frame?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Ridgeway
12/5/2015 at 10:43:24 AM

The handyman I just fired did this to my window frame. What on earth can I do to fix it? I'm going to have to hire someone to do something with it, I just want to make sure I'm not going in blind again. I'm very upset, this is a brand new home we just built.

Thank you,


What should I do with this window frame?
What should I do with this window frame?
What should I do with this window frame?
What should I do with this window frame?
What should I do with this window frame?
What should I do with this window frame?
User Icon
Francisco from Fine Army in Leduc
Date/Time12/5/2015 at 7:01:46 PM

You'll have to remove everything and redo the window.

User Icon
Date/Time12/5/2015 at 8:55:56 PM


The casing will have to be replaced. I would suggest that you take the pictures with you and talk with a window installer. Places like Home Depot and Rona have qualified people. The pictures will act as a guide or reference point and you can insist that the job be done correctly. The store that supplied the windows should also have proper contacts for installers and if you used one of them, I would suggest that you bring it to the attention of the store. It may be to your benefit. Also, ask to see what the NEW installer plans to use for material and get some references of his/her work.

Sorry to hear about the current situation, but is is fixable and will soon be hebind you.

...and have a merry Christmas.

User Icon
Date/Time12/5/2015 at 11:40:56 PM

Hi Jacqueline,

It looks like he tried to install the extension jamb to be flush with the Window jambs. That is pretty much impossible and no amount of caulking can hide it. The new guy you hire will have to take it all out and install it with a reveal and then install the casing with a reveal. It will then look the way it should.

Good luck with it

Jim Kuzma

Kettleby Handyman

User Icon
Mark from CMJ Renovations in Oakville
Date/Time12/6/2015 at 1:46:39 PM

As Jim mentioned above it is almost impossible to have these flush as over time they will spit and become obvious this is why most frames step down a 1/4" as the jamb gets wider. You need to replace the existing frame other with several small width stepping it down as you go or have Depot or Rona rip you a piece of a paint grade plywood the width require and paint.

Best of luck.

User Icon
Jacqualine in Ridgeway
Date/Time12/6/2015 at 3:28:31 PM

Thank you very much. What a head ache... :)


Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

It appears you may be located in the US

TrustedPros is designed to deliver results targeted to your location.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.