Categories

What would be the basic cost of finishing a "full" basement that is about 650 square feet big?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Milton
12/9/2013 at 1:10:53 PM

We'd like to finish our full basement. It is about 650 square feet big. We wanted just an open-space basement, flooring to walls to ceiling. Just a basic done basement. We don't want to spend $$ on it, as we're thinking of selling our home in the near future.

Is it possible to do for a budget of $5000?

Thank you!

REPLIES (10)
User Icon
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 2:17:15 PM

Hi Alex

Unfortunately this is Impossible. The materials alone and doing it right regardless of you selling it or not will be 6500 for basics. Now labour and what your basements looks like now is another thing. Sure you can go buy all your materials and shop around and sabe that way. But u must put proper drywall and under pads for the floor. Remember the basement always has lots of moisture.

Rachid

User Icon
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 2:51:29 PM

Unfortunately NO!!! That's not even cover the materials cost?

User Icon
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 3:41:30 PM

Milton,

I agree with the others. What I would suggest, based on your budget, is to do it in stages. You can ger the framing done and some of the basics (wiring plumbing lighting, etc.) and, at least you would have an idea as to how things look.

If you want changes, this would be the time to make them. From there just plan and save for the next stage.

Good luck.

Regards from Alberta.

User Icon
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 6:07:24 PM

Sorry,

But tha does not even cover all the materials for a low end finishing of the basement. And by low end I mean nothing fancy, but well built.

You will have to spend more than double that. You would have to be willing to spend about 12.000.00 to 13,000.00 for good basic.

If you are selling soon, I would not bother. If it has no wow factor, it is not going to add much value to the house.

Regards,

James Fram

User Icon
Babak (Bob) from AV Services in Richmond Hill
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 7:44:34 PM

At least 12000 up to 15000. If u do all the job ur self maybe 5000.

User Icon
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 7:52:52 PM

Hi,

If you are selling the house in near future do not finish your basement as the buyer may not like the planning and that way you may have potential customer turned down. Call Real Estate and find out what is being sold in your neighborhood and then take your decision.

My wife is a real estate agent and I exactly know how buyers look at the properties.

Just my thought.

User Icon
Robert from ElecTriLight Ltd. in Oakville
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 7:59:37 PM

As all electrical work in Ontario, only electrical contractors can do electrical installations and ESA permits and inspections will be supplied to the homeowners which can be used for insurance purposes and in the event of an electrical problem, we would be responsible for the work carried out.

The electrical alone will cost from $2000-$3500 from an ESA registered electrical contractor.

Electrilight Ltd. Oakville

User Icon
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 9:39:43 PM

Hope you dont take this the wrong way but to use professionals, licensed trades, an incorporated/registered company, WSIB coverage, your cost would never be less than $22,000, it will rise from there depending on the cosmetic choices you make. If you do have some doing it for less than $15,000 then congrats......you just opened to door to problems or the project not being finished.

Do it right, hire a pro, get rid of these "fly by night" contractors, they are ruining this industry. Remember, its your house, your safe place for you and your family. Do the right thing and be protective of your home, hire the pro's.

User Icon
Date/Time12/10/2013 at 5:36:08 AM

No it can not be done for 5000.00, but here is something to consider. What ever money you do put in to the basement you will get back ( with in reason ) and would make your house more attractive to more home buyers...........but beware, there is a lot of people out there that say they are a contractor and yet I would not let them build me an out house, so do your home work and find the right contractor, do not get the contractor with the lowest price! Good contractors will always be within a 1000.00 dollars of each other.

User Icon
Mat in Mississauga
Date/Time1/12/2014 at 11:13:57 PM

$18000 to $20000. Basic. Commercial carpet glued. You will get your money back as this becomes a living space. Helps to sell.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x