When are permits required?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Brantford

Just wondering when permits are required if I'm doing a bathroom renovation or kitchen or basement? From what I know you don't need a permit unless structural changes are made and electricians pull there own permits just wondering about plumbing? Doing a complete bathroom gut and new tub and flooring some electrical and minor plumbing.

User Icon


If it's just replacing the existing then you will not need a permit.


User Icon

Good question, very simple answer. If you ask the City (Building Department), only time you don't need permit is when you do painting. Any other time you do.


User Icon

Hi, you do not need a permit for anything Plumbing or Electrical contractors as they are licensed and cover their own permit requirements and get inspections done on their work. They usually have a charge Wichita is included in the price they provide.

Also make sure you ask them the proper questions such as license number and such..

I hope you have a good experience with the contractors your currently dealing with. If needed our services are available for your convenience. Hope this helped. Kami.

User Icon

Correct! All trades will pull permits. Guide lines change province to province. Usually if under a certain amount you won't need a permit.

User Icon

When is a Building Permit Required?

As the building owner, you are ultimately responsible for complying with all building requirements. Failure to obtain building permits can result in costly construction delays, legal action and/or the removal of work already completed.

The following is a list of common projects that require a building permit. The list is not exhaustive. If you have any questions please contact Toronto Building.

Construct a new building

Construct an addition to an existing building, such as

second or third story additions

attached garages, carports


solariums, porches, decks.

Make structural or material alterations, such as

adding or removing walls (i.e., changing room sizes and/or uses)

new windows or doors where there were none before

enlarging or relocating existing windows or doors

enclosing an existing deck, porch or patio of any size.

Construct an accessory structure larger than 10 square metres* (108 square feet) in area, such as

Detached Garage


Garden shed


Pool house or cabana

*Note: If you are constructing an accessory structure and it is attached to an existing building and/or has plumbing, regardless of its size, a building permit is required.

Finishing a basement, if the work proposed includes any of the following,

structural or material alterations

installing or modifying heating and or plumbing systems

excavating and/or constructing foundations

basement underpinning

constructing a basement entrance

adding a second suite

Energy and environmental building improvements, such as

roof top storm water retention systems

green roofs

structures used in the support of a wind turbine generator with a rated output of more than 3kW

solar projects such as installation of solar collector systems and solar hot water systems

Construct a deck more than 60 centimetres (24 inches) above ground

Construct a retaining wall more than one metre (3 feet 3 inches) in height provided the retaining wall is on or adjacent to public property (including streets), building entrances, and on private property accessible to the public

Constructing a tent that

covers more than 60 metres squared (646 square feet); and/or

is attached to a building; and/or

is within 3 metres (9 feet 10 inches) from another structure.

Demolish or remove all, or a portion of a building

Install or reconstruct a chimney or fireplace

Install a wood burning stove or fireplace

Install or modify heating and or plumbing systems

Install a backwater valve

Install a backflow prevention device

Change a building's use (i.e. from residential to office or single dwelling unit house to multi-dwelling unit house). Even if no construction is proposed, if a change of use is proposed a building permit is required.

User Icon

I got that off of the Toronto web site.

User Icon

You are correct. Permits are needed for structural changes or major projects like basement development or large decks. have fun.

User Icon

Under the Ontario Building Code Act, a Building Permit is required for the construction or alteration of any structure greater than 10 m2 (107.64 ft2) in area.

Typically, the designer or contractor will obtain the Building Permit. However, it is ultimately the homeowner's responsibility to ensure that a Building Permit is obtained when required and that the construction complies with all regulations and by-laws.

For more details, please check that link

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors