Work done without permit

Question Icon
Posted by: from Ottawa
11/8/2015 at 10:10:06 PM

I purchased a home. Some work was done without permit, now I want to sell my home. Now I'm having a problem because no permit present. What can I do?

Please advise.

User Icon
Date/Time11/9/2015 at 12:54:22 AM

If a may ask, what permit are you referring to also what type of work was done on your home.

Joseph B

User Icon
Date/Time11/9/2015 at 2:30:32 AM

Hi AK,

You should go to your local city hall and pull a permit.

They will be glad to take your money and also be willing to help with inspections and making things right.

I'm sure you might have to get specific trades and even engineers involved.

But, that is the path you should take.


Wayne Balliet

Project Manager

Builtru Construction

[email protected]

Tel: 604-768-9853

User Icon
Ak in Ottawa
Date/Time11/9/2015 at 7:12:03 AM

Thank you for the reply the place is considered a single family home it was converted in to a duplex I was not aware it was done without the proper papers I was very excited to get this place and possibly rent out the basement Fire marshall visited my home made me make the home Fire proof and asked me to get ESA certificate I got all that my neighbour is still telling me that's not enough will the city make me take everything down?

User Icon
Date/Time11/9/2015 at 7:12:19 AM

Have the building inspector over, find out what he requires, go to zoning to make sure that you can do the renovation. Then get the permit, all the town or city wants is to be not liable for bad workmanship and that the new owner does not have any problems in the future.


Total General Contracting

User Icon
Date/Time11/9/2015 at 7:17:11 AM

I read your reply, if you have an illegal basement apartment, you have to go to zoning and get it changed to multiple dwelling. You will have to install an egress window for two exits from the basement. An esa certificate is supplied by an master electrician and the electrician will get the esa permit for you.

User Icon
Brian from Next Restoration in Rockwood
Date/Time11/9/2015 at 6:11:58 PM

Your realtor and lawyer should have made you aware of this prior to the purchase.

User Icon
Date/Time11/9/2015 at 11:47:53 PM

You will have to get a new permit bring it to current code, which may entail exposing various areas to ensure everything is correct, using proper drywall, heating, electrical and air systems and fire taping/breaks etc.

User Icon
Ak in Ottawa
Date/Time4/26/2016 at 9:52:37 PM

Thank u everyone for the replies i have learned that the contractor who tells u permit is not required thats the one everyone should stay away from.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors