Would like to start a renovation company

Question Icon
Posted by: from Brantford
2/5/2017 at 10:21:25 AM


I am thinking of starting a renovations business in a completely and was just wondering if you could provide me with some feed back on what type of licenses and certificates I need, from my understanding the only thing I cant do is electrical, plumbing, hvac and gas which I need licensing. However I am ok for general things like drywall, insulation, flooring, painting, framing etc. Is this correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.


User Icon
Date/Time2/5/2017 at 12:14:23 PM

Business license, general liability for at least 2million, WCB for all employees would be starting point.

User Icon
Frank from Reno Force in Princeton
Date/Time2/5/2017 at 12:20:21 PM

Hello Jay,

Having people skills, be brutely Honest and being patiencent ... this has been the key to my success.

Here to help.


User Icon
Jay in Brantford
Date/Time2/5/2017 at 12:20:51 PM

That's it business license and general liability? Also I have talked to wsib and as long as I am doing strictly residential renovation I will be exempt until I get employees one day but just be I will be exempt.

User Icon
Date/Time2/5/2017 at 1:08:46 PM

You will have to pay Wcb for yourself twice a year Jay to prevent contractors covering you.

User Icon
Jay in Brantford
Date/Time2/5/2017 at 1:22:39 PM

Is that mandatory in Ontario because I have not found anything relating to that.

User Icon
Date/Time2/5/2017 at 1:37:57 PM

You will need:

1.Business name

2.Maybe a operation name(name u use everyday)

3.Business reg number

4.City licence

5.Insurance 1mill and up

6.WCB reg

7.GST and Pst account even when u not charge pst.

Construction company is comsumer but need to register a pst account anyway.

Good luck in the future.

User Icon
Date/Time2/5/2017 at 3:29:11 PM

Hi Jay,

WCIB is Optional Only if you are a Sole Propriitor . As soon as you hire someone than you must pay

WCIB. Liability Insurance is not required in Ontario either but in my 30 years as a sole proprietor I've always had at least 2 mil. coverage a must in my opinion. Any and all other trades I hire for big jobs ( Plumbers, Electricians , Gas fitters etc.) are all under contract as Independent Operators and have all there own coverage as required. Once you have applied for and received your HST #, this is considered your business #.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors