Removal of wall

Question Icon
Posted by: from Calgary
2/16/2012 at 10:19:53 PM

I have a house built in the 70's that I'm slowly remodeling. I would like to make it more of an open concept by removing the wall between my kitchen and living room.

Problem is that I think this is my main retaining wall. Is it possible to remove the wall or at least make a half wall and what type of contractor would I need to get in contact with?

User Icon
Date/Time2/16/2012 at 11:08:33 PM

Hi Emma:

The best type of contractor is to search out one that does home remodeling. However, any bonafide registered contractor will have not only the know how, contacts, but also know resource people who might be required. Depending on the total support for the wall, a design engineer might have to be involved. If it is a bearing wall, and the work is extensive, a permit might be required.

The first thing to do is to find a reputable contractor. Quite often, your local building yard salespeople (contractor sales desk) will be able to give you some people to call for suggestions and bids.

Good luck with your project.


User Icon
Date/Time2/18/2012 at 9:02:14 AM

HI Emma,

Chuck is correct in that care must be exercised in dealing with structural components of your house and the services of an engineer should be engaged so that the proper size of beam and new point load support and foundation (if required) can be specified. Once you have that, you can post the project on this site and look for companies that have experience in undertaking this type of work. Permits are also likely requried in your municpality and you should check with them as well.

FYI, on each side of the wall to be removed, temporary structural support must be built to take the load off the existing wall. If it is a multiple storey house, this temporary structural load will likely have to be carried to the floor below with another temporary structural support underneath. Then the wall can be removed carefully and new structure put in place in accordance with the engineer's drawings.


Kingsway Construction Inc

Glenn Rosborough

User Icon
Date/Time2/25/2012 at 1:41:41 PM

Hi Emma

I would like to agree with Chuck & Glenn, assuming this is a load bearing wall then this is a job recommended being carried out by a Qualified Carpenter or General Contractor. Initially however a site visit with a structural engineer is of top priority.

Please don't proceed with any demolition prior to seeking advice on this project.

If this is a load bearing wall, it's not to say that the opening can't be widened, however as discussed by the other two contractors there are temporary and permanent structural issue that have to be carried out.

The structural engineer if required should draw up a blue print and this should be submitted to the City Of Calgary for a Permit before any work is carried out.

I live in Cochrane, AB and would be happy to forward you the number of a qualified engineer, I can also arrange a site visit with him. I hope my input helps and reflects the advice of the other contractors that reply to you.

Julian Evans

Master Carpenter

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.