Removing Wall From Kitchen???

Question Icon
Posted by: from Langley
1/25/2013 at 1:14:52 AM

Looking at removing the wall seperating living rm and dining rm from kitchen to create open concept. The wall in question is aligned with the hallway and the section I want to take out is 9ft long facing living room and 6ft returning to outside wall at dining room side. L shaped.

The house is a bc box 24ft deep and 44ft long. The wall is on the second floor and has nothing but roof, trusses and drywall above. I am pretty sure the pitch is 4/12 and the trusses are 2x4 rafter extending 30" beyond outside wall and and the ceiling joists are 2x8.

I have noticed a few neighborhood licensed renos done with the same shaped house and they have done this and i want to do the same without columns.

Any recommendations?

User Icon
Alkat Contracting in Barrie
Date/Time1/25/2013 at 9:13:16 AM


There are a lot of different aspects that affect the peramiters of this job.

I suggest having an engineer/architect create some drawings for you. This way when you get quotes from different contractors you are getting quotes on the same aspects of construction.

By the sounds of your project it is possible to remove the walls in question without to much hassle.

User Icon
Date/Time1/25/2013 at 9:15:00 AM

Good Morning Steve

By your description you can remove the Walsh without having a column. We use engineered structural steel for these types of projects.

Paul Lucyk

User Icon
Steve from Bath Revival in Oshawa
Date/Time1/25/2013 at 9:19:54 AM

Before getting a permit you should figure out if it is load bearing. That will give you an idea to the scope of the work. A clue could be if the wall is running parallel or perpendicular to the ceiling joists. If it is perpendicular it could be load bearing.

Since it is L shaped one of the walls will be parallel and one will be perpendicular. If the perpendicular section is below joists that appear the same as other joists without a wall below that is a good clue that it is not load bearing. That is not to say that is or isn't load bearing. This way you will have an idea of cost. It is a lot cheaper to remove a non-load bearing wall.

If you believe that it is not load bearing than I would hire an engineer or specialist that can determine for sure. You will need to hire one for permit anyhow.

User Icon
Dolphin Construction Co. in Ottawa
Date/Time1/25/2013 at 9:35:08 AM

Do not do it your self !!!

User Icon
Date/Time1/25/2013 at 11:23:10 AM


Best to have a competent general contractor have a look. The trusses likely load on the exterior walls so the interior walls will not be loading, but need to be confirmed on site.


Alair Homes

User Icon
Date/Time1/25/2013 at 11:39:53 AM

First you need to confirm that the existing wall is not a bearing wall supporting the roof framing. Houses built before the early 1960's are generally all stick framed roofs, houses built after that may be built with roof trusses.

If the roof is using trusses then most likely they are spanning clear across the 24 ft using the exterior walls as bearing, in this case you can remove the wall without adding any support.

If the roof is stick framed then it is a good possibility that the wall you would like to remove is a bearing wall, in that case you will need to replace the wall with a support beam and posts.

In either case you should have a competent professional check to see whether the wall is a bearing wall or not, or if you have the original building plans you may be able to check yourself.

User Icon
Date/Time1/25/2013 at 12:08:53 PM


As is mentioned by most others, get a proper reoprt done by a professional structure engineer or other qualified person. It may be a load bearing wall and would require some modified support to maintain the integrety of the structure.

The overall job can certainly be done but make sure it meets with all the appropriate codes.



User Icon
Date/Time1/25/2013 at 12:21:38 PM

Hi there.

This is a common Reno for this style house. Assuming the trusses run across the main wall to be removed, it is likely a bearing wall (you'll have to confirm this). In this case you will need to use a beam or lintel which ties in to the hall wall and rests on a post on the opposite side. This lintel and post can be decorated simply to match existing wall covering such as drywall or be paneled which often goes hand in hand with a matching bar counter. The perpendicular wall if not load bearing can be removed to open up the dining area.

However if you want the whole area to be completely open plan, you will have to look into carrying a structural beam right from the hall wall to the opposite exterior wall. This will require remediation to both walls for strengthening purposes - some additional strengthening may be required for the trusses above.

A licensed builder or renovator with experience in this area will have the right solution for you.

All the best


Two by 4 Construction

User Icon
Date/Time1/25/2013 at 12:42:56 PM

Hi Steve,

First thing you have to hire a certified engineer to assess the project and to provide the right recommendation on how to re-carry the loads instead of the wall needs to be removed.

Based on that information, you could interview the right contractor for such job to get the right price based on the engineer recommendations.



User Icon
Date/Time1/25/2013 at 1:16:26 PM

Hi Steve,

There are many factors, as have been indicated already, that go into answering your question correctly. To do that someone will need to look at your home to determine what is going to be required. I recommend that you meet with a few General Contractors and find one that communicates well with you, is going to do it properly with permits, and has the experience to get it done right.

You will be happy with the outcome as it will change the feel of the house completely! I would advise using a company who has strong ties to a good designer to make sure your tastes are captured and can help you vision the final product.

Best Regards,

Dan - Infinity Construction

Abbotsford, BC

User Icon
Erroll from MVP Construction in Surrey
Date/Time1/25/2013 at 2:43:23 PM

Hi Steve

This is an easy situation for a framer to know if that wall is bearing or not. If it is a bearing wall it will be picked up underneath, by either another bearing wall or a support beam, and that load will be transfered down to the foundation. It could be there to pick up mid span on your trusses. This would be evident by looking at the truss configeration.

Either way there is an easy solution to your problem.

If it is bearing it can be picked up with engineered beam. This beam can either be droped and showing in the ceiling, or flush mount and hidden.

If an engineer is required for your peace of mind the cost will be $500 to $1000. This is is common procedure in houses like yours today.


MVP Construction

User Icon
Dustin from Alair Homes Calgary in Calgary
Date/Time1/25/2013 at 11:43:47 PM


If you are removing a wall in your house make sure it is not a bearing wall. If it is you can remove the wall after you install a Engineered Beam to carry your roof load.

Note that most of the bc box style homes the trusses span for ext. to ext., which means you would not need a beam to carry the roof load.

You might wont to have a professional look at it before you remove any walls.

Good luck

User Icon
Steve in Langley
Date/Time1/26/2013 at 3:20:10 PM

Thanks for all the input!!

The downstairs below the area in question does not have any walls and is an open rec room. The house was built in 1970. I am suspecting this can be done without structural support but will seek an professional opinion to be sure.

Once again thanks to all who took time for advise.

User Icon
Kevin from Precision Carpentry in Barrie
Date/Time3/1/2013 at 10:44:24 PM

Hi Steve,

Check to see if the top plate of the wall is in direct contact with the underside of the trusses or if there is a gap between them, usually about 1/4 to 1/2". If there is a gap then you know for sure that it is not a load bearing wall. In most cases where there is a truss roof, the interior walls are not load bearing as the load is carried on the exterior walls.

Of course the best thing to do would be to at least have an engineer come by to confirm your findings, often times they won't even charge you unless you need a report and or drawings.

User Icon
Date/Time3/25/2013 at 11:26:32 PM

The first action of determining if a wall is load bearing, is that it has to continue directly to the ground and on a footing which is on undisturbed soil or bedrock. Meaning simply go downstairs and see if the said wall continues directly to the floor either thru another studded wall or supporting beams. Then continue with all the other well posted comments.

User Icon
Victor123 in California
Date/Time4/10/2013 at 6:10:00 PM

Hire a professional local renovator because they know their job well.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors