Which permits are required for bathroom renovation?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Bradford
2/6/2015 at 3:05:54 PM

My husband & I are looking at renovating our bathroom this year and I'm wondering what permits we will require.

The work will involve:

- removing an existing Jacuzzi & recessed shower

- closing off wall where shower was

- redoing drywall on walls (maybe ceiling)

- changing plumbing & electrical configuration

- installing a vent (wasn't one before)


User Icon
Wesley from Weswal Interiors in Toronto
Date/Time2/6/2015 at 4:05:53 PM

You will need a plumbing and electrical permit. As long as you are not doing any work to structure that is the only permits you will require.

User Icon
Date/Time2/6/2015 at 4:07:33 PM

Generally when renovating, a typical permit from the City will include all of the necessary permissions and allowances for the entire scope of work, including plumbing inspection, ventilation, framing, drywall, insulation, and finish. Electrical permits are typically a separate permit that is pulled by the Electrician.

User Icon
Date/Time2/6/2015 at 4:34:33 PM

You should check with your building authority. Some communities will allow minor renovations to proceed without pulling permits, but they will extend the courtesy of inspecting those renovations.

Make a phone call to your local inspections office, you may be pleasantly surprised. Should you require a permit, and you likely will on both the plumbing and electrical, you should educate yourself on the process of having inspections done throughout.

This is a step that is intended to protect the homeowner as well as the contractor, and it may assist you in hiring a reputable contractor to do the work.

Good luck.

User Icon
James from Odd Job James in Scarborough
Date/Time2/6/2015 at 6:34:48 PM

You will need to open a permit through your licensing office. That would cover any modifications made to structure and plumbing. You will also need a separate electrical permit for that work. If you are doing the work yourself, you will need both permits. As a homeowner you obtain the permits and call for inspection of doing the work yourself. However, if you are hiring a contractor, he cannot do the work or pull a permit unless he is a licensed electrician.

Hope that helps.

User Icon
Patrick from War Bunnys Carpentry in Beaumont
Date/Time2/6/2015 at 8:03:02 PM

While I agree that your municipality might allow minor renos without permits I would recommend at least an electrical permit as you will be removing a jacuzzi and will need to terminate the power. This usually is a breaker and sub panel. And you would want this termination done properly and a permit and inspection should allow you to sleep soundly knowing it won't cause a fire.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.