Hi, I might land a very good deal buying an ex-grow op house. I know all about the mould and rotten supports. What would be the best way to inspect the house? Litterally tear every wall down?
yes you will need to gut the house in order to inspect everything . you will also need to inspect inside every junction box(electrical) for corrosion
How long was it a grow house?
i bought a grow-op house withoot inspecting it and i had a big suprise.i have sent over $60,000.00 already and still it is not mould free.so do not buy that house
i bought a grow-op house without inspecting it and i had a big suprise.i have spent over $60,000.00 already and still it is not mould free.so do not buy that house
I would budget in complete gut , mold remediation and rebuild . Expect the worst , could be deal
And if so do you require any help with it ,or any other projects.Any questions please ask.Thanks.
Yep the House will need to come down to the frame, re-insulate and vaporbarrior would be smart, re-do all interior and Defenetely change all plugs lights ect, this will give you a chance also to see any damage to wiring in the house.
drywalled a few of those lol. my experience has seen them totally gutted with kiltz sprayed threwout house helps kill the mould .
It depends on how good the deal is that you're getting. Like has been mentioned a bunch of times above, there is going to be massive structural damage so you're essentially buying the property and the foundation/framework of the house.
We are also thinking about buying a former grow opp house. The grow opp went on for 8 months. According to news results, police secured 1000 plants from the basement. No information was available on what additional items were used to help speed up growth process (carbon dioxide, ozone, etc).
The home was busted in 7.2008. There have been no known occupants since that time.
It has been inspected (Fall 09). The company that inspected + cleaned the house is 360 Indoor Air Solutions (based in Winnipeg).
A snap shot of the air samples captured (and evaluated by an independant lab) are below
Alternaria: 40 Count (1.6%)
Penicillium/Aspergillus: 80 Count (3.1%)
Alternaria: 40 Count (20%)
Penicillium/Aspergillus: 120 Count (2.8%)
Alternia: 15,280 cont (87%)
Cladosporium: 760 count (5%)
Bladiospores: 920 coungt (6.1%)
Penicillium/Aspergillus: 560 count (3.7%)
So it would appear that the mold growth was signifigantly lower than what you woud find outside. Or at least that is what I am gathering from this report.
Past that, the report is indicating that elevated mold conditions do not exist in the basement or main floor (after clean up occurred).
What would be your thoughts? Safe? I also can forward the report as well for private viewing.
They used "all natural" products to clean the house. The house was cleaned by:
- insulation & vapor barrier was removed
- studs, base plates, and all basementwallsand joists were cleaned and disinfected with a combination of "Green Seal" certified disinfectant and super heated dry steam. Base plates were removed and replaced where required (basement was not finished).
- Humidity was reduced using a combination of dehumidifiers and air movers
- The furnace, cooling coil, and ducting were cleaned and disinfected
- they are indicating no visible sings of mould damage onthe main floor of the house
- All hard surfaces were wet wiped with a disinfectant solution and all carpets were steam cleaned and HEPA vacuumed (garage was not put this process).
- Entire house was foofed with a disinfectant solution (both before and after the cleaning process).
The report does indicate that they inspected the attic which concerns me as well.
The inspection was done by the owner
I suggest you get your own assessment done on the house including air testing. I run a company in Vancouver BC that inspects and tests former marijuana grow operations and houses. We find mold problems all the time in houses that have been professionally cleaned and passed testing.
Do not rely on the inspection or testing completed by the seller or former owner. Hire your own qualified indoor environmental services company to complete the testing. Just like you would get your own home inspection and not rely on a home inspection the seller of the house had done. Often grow op's can still be significantly contaminated even after "passing" an inspection or a test. Since the company doing the inspection or testing is hired by the building owner it can be biased. To find out more information on grow op testing, inspections and remediation visit: http://abmenvironmental.ca
If it is a really good deal and saving you alot of money, I guess you can afford to hire some professional to inspect your house.
Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.Find your home service pro