House foundation repair

Question Icon
Posted by: from Burnaby
5/7/2011 at 9:29:45 PM

If a house has one side sink in 4 inches due to soil settlement, is there a threat to the foundation of the house? Can that be repaired and if so about how much would the total cost be?(Just a very rough estimate)

User Icon
Date/Time5/9/2011 at 5:59:52 PM

Hi Tony.

The answer is yes and you should see signs of the stress that this would be placing on your house. I would suggest you contact a couple of foundation contractors and get them in to assess the issue.


Kingsway Construction Inc.

Glenn Rosborough

User Icon
Dave in Oshawa
Date/Time5/10/2011 at 12:57:29 PM


I'm going to have to disagree with you slightly on this. Tony, settlement isn't always a case of foundation problems. It could simply be settlement - particularely if it is around a new house or if you had any work done around the foundation before winter or before a lot of rain. Water will tend to compact any loose soil or backfill material. Realistically though, you don't want to allow water to pool or collect next to the foundation. Any soil or grading should be sloped away from the foundation wall and directed away from the building. If you look inside the basement around the area where the settlement has occured, you can generally get an idea of what is happening. If you have a block foundation wall, look for noticable cracking along the mortar lines, or blocks that have pushed in. If you have a poured concrete foundation, look first for signs of leaking. Leaking however doesn't necessarily mean you have a structural problem. Next look for cracking. Vertical cracks are usually shrinkage cracks and are normal. If you have horizontal cracks or cracks that radiate out from a point on a wall, then there is a good chance there could be something going on with the structure. Contact a structural engineer to assess the situation.

Repairing leaks can be simple using an epoxy injection, or repointing block walls with a hydrolic cement mortar or other patching compound. This repair can run about $250ish (in the Toronto area) per crack. If you just have settlement, you can fill it yourself with gravel first and then a couple of inches of topsoil or sand (depending if you have a hard surface or are planting grass next to the foundation. Any structural issues will depend on the severity of the problem and the engineers recommended repair method. You should ask the engineer for options to repair.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.