My wife and I just purchased a cottage and discovered some small patches of mold in a few areas.. We are planning on removing completely the drywall and ceilings in the affected rooms... My question is, can we burn (outdoors) the material once it has been removed?
firstly let me say that no you should not go outside and simply burn your (mould) away. Drywall itself is designed not to burn and give you a certain time delay, depending upon its thickness and application. You probably have had the drywall attached to the bathroom ceiling joists and so again not safe to burn. My suggestion would be to simply cut up the old mouldy drywall into manageable size pieces and take it too your local municipal recycling plant. they have the facilities to take care of the problem in a safe and effective manner.
When you finish of the new bathroom , use either the green or blue drywall, either 45 or 90 compound plaster( mould resistant) and a kitchen & bathroom paint. You may also want to look at you exhaust system for the bathroom and look at getting it upgraded.
I hope this helps?
Andrew provides some valuable and accurate advise. In additon to the proper disposal of the drywall, there are mould treatment products that you can use on the studs/rafters of the effected areas (assuming small). In addition to using appropriate materials as Andrew as outlined if it is an insulated wall it is very important to properly install and seal a VB.
Kingsway Construction Inc
Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.Find your home service pro