What can I do after a plumber caused flood, ruining wood floors?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Toronto
9/29/2014 at 5:08:08 PM

There was an issue in my apartment black - sludge was coming up in my sinks. Reported it to the building. They sent in a plumber that had to break some of my walls to find the problem. He left with out securing a pipe which then flooded my apartment.

He told me not to worry, the building would take care of it. But I am now informed this is my problem. $15000 was what I paid for my floors How is this possible?

User Icon
Date/Time9/29/2014 at 6:18:50 PM

Really sorry to hear you had to go through so much!!

My first question would be who paid the plumber's bill initially? In case it was the the building, then the first thing to do is to file a complaint to rental board. They will guide you since the building has a responsibility and also should be insured for such problems.

User Icon
Date/Time9/29/2014 at 8:47:22 PM

They sent him! They pay! Not your responsibility! Unless you hired him?

Good luck!

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.