Categories

Cost of removing original 1981 popcorn ceiling and replacing with Spantex "Orange Peel" texture

Question Icon
Posted by: from Kindersley
6/22/2013 at 1:48:49 PM

Can anyone tell me the average cost to have this done?

Original popcorn ceiling removal and spantex application with orange peel application. The job was approximately 1819 Sq Feet between 2 floors and included the kitchen, hallway, stairway, office, front and back entrance, walk in closet, 3 bathrooms, 2 bdrms, and 1 master bdrm.

We hired someone that started but we had him stop after the main floor. Long story, very disappointing unpleasant experience, and poor job. We are going to have to have some of it repaired and redone. Unfortunately he was paid in full for the work completed as we paid 50% down for the whole job.

I'm trying to decide if it will fit in the budget to have someone fix and finish it or if we should attempt to finish and fix it ourselves as we did 80% of the labor when he was working anyway. He wasn't physically equipped to do the job it turned out. We helped with 70% of the taping and plastic-ing, did 90% of the scraping and did 100% of the clean up and garbage removal. He said he could do the whole job in 4-5 days but only had half the job done in 4 days with us helping.

REPLIES (1)
User Icon
Date/Time6/24/2013 at 4:17:09 AM

Judgng by the few responses you've receibed you should now realize this can be a bear of a job. In my opinion I'd have recommended a completely different approach to solve this problem. The cleanest, quickest merhod is to simply cover it with 1/4 inch drywall. It adds insulation to your ceilings and is new and pristine instead of the mess you've got to fix up. In the long run it would have been the best route.

Good luck

Go Riders (ex Saskatchrwan guy)

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x