Categories

Cost to build a 2,600 sq. ft home in Barrie, ON

Question Icon
Posted by: from Barrie
5/10/2020 at 12:39:52 PM

We are in the process of getting quotes from builders. I'm hoping to understand the costs. Here's the detail I can provide for the lot:

- The lot is in the city of Barrie, ON.

- It has been cleared and levelled (we have been told, but have not verified)

- Municipal water/sewer/electrical service is available at the road/lot line

- The lot is in an established neighbourhood at a cul-de-sac.

Here's what we want:

- 1500-1900 sq. ft. home for ourselves (don't care how many floors, just want the cheapest cost setup)

- 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths + great room + big kitchen

- 2-car or 3-car garage

Above the garage, we are hoping to build an in-law suite for our aging parents. We are hoping for 600 or 650 sq.ft. for the inlaw suite, or however big the garage footprint ends up being.

We are hoping for medium end finishes, or whatever finishes we can afford inside our budget (not looking for Super-high or super custom, want everything standard/prefab as much as possible, while still looking nice and classy)

Our budget right now is $300-$400k. We received one quote for $700k-$800k! Our questions: Is our budget reasonable? What kind of furnishings can we reasonably expect inside our budget? Are you a contractor, or do you know a contractor in the Barrie, ON area who can help us build on time and on budget, without getting ripped off? Looking for help!

Thank you!

JM

REPLIES (2)
User Icon
Date/Time5/11/2020 at 7:49:52 AM

Hi, you need plans, permits etc.

Considering all services must be created and brought into thr new basement. New footings, foundation, structural build, finishing. Etc.

For a decent finish on the property. Without fancy upgrades. Landscaping and finish. 700,000.00 is not unteasonable.

User Icon
Date/Time5/11/2020 at 7:22:12 PM

HiJay,

Based on your description and requirements the budget that you are trying to finish is too low. 400000 to finish 1500 to 1900 sft, its not possible. All complete you are looking starting from 675K to 750K range. All depends on level of finishes.

If i were you i would go for "Passive House" standard construction so that my future maintenance cost is much lower.the energy bills are almost 400 $ to 600$ a YEAR.

We can do complete from design and build home PASSIVE House standard.

Can be reached on 6478667869.

A Budget Construction LTD>

Nitin

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x