Fuse Box

Question Icon
1/10/2013 at 6:04:44 PM

Wondering if you can give me a rough estimate on what it would cost to upgrade a fuse box to a circuit breaker?

I live in a 4 bedroom 2200 sq ft home.

Thank you

User Icon
Date/Time1/10/2013 at 7:09:36 PM

The estimate will depend on the amperage of service.

Anyway if you have 100 amp service, panel change will be around 750 to 850.

200 amp service, panel change 1000 to 1200.

User Icon
Date/Time1/10/2013 at 7:21:53 PM

I would not be able to do this, because everything might have to be re done !

User Icon
Date/Time1/10/2013 at 7:42:06 PM

This will depend on several different things. 100 or 200 AMP services, whether the system needs to be balanced.

It would not cost anything to get a liecenced electrician to come and look get a couple of prices. You asked for roughly, $1000 to $2500.

Your hydro will need to be shut down and a permit must be purchased to complete the job.

User Icon
Date/Time1/10/2013 at 8:50:39 PM

Cost depends on a lot of factors but count on at least $2000 to maybe $3500. The panel and the extra breakers will be a big part of it depending on how many you have.

A 200 amp panel and a few beakers is $400. The Arc faults for the bedrooms are $75 a piece so it adds up quickly.

You'll also have the permit and inspection charges and Hydro to disconnect and re-connect the service. There are also new height restrictions for panels, so if all your wires need to be extended, that will add to the cost.

It's best to have someone take a look for you. It's definately worth getting done.

User Icon
Date/Time1/10/2013 at 8:53:58 PM

If it's a straight panel exchange it should cost approximately $800 to $1000 with the ESA permit included.

Kind regards,

Brandon Hottot

The Hottot Group Inc.

User Icon
Date/Time1/11/2013 at 9:47:11 AM

As many have properly indicated, there are a number of variables to be considered. The labour is going to be roughly the same if it is 100 amp or 200 amp. That labour will be the same if you need to extend individual circuit cables, replace the cables from the meter to the panel, renew the grounding and bonding connections, identify the circuits, etc. That is because the size of the panel is not a factor. Having said all of that, a panel swap at your house will not be the same at your neighbour's house, most likely.

Arrange to have three electrical contractors come to your place and get estimates. Make sure they are all ESA approved. Make sure they are talking about the same level of quality and workmanship. Also as mentioned before, ensure they all get the required "permits" so you can pass them on to your insurance company.



John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

User Icon
Dolphin Construction Co. in Ottawa
Date/Time1/11/2013 at 11:00:34 AM

Get a permit and 3 estimates. Plan for future expention if necessary. Ask electrician if 100 Amp is enough or if you need more. Instal Whole House Surge Protected Circuit Breaker. Work must be nice and all cables in organized order.

Prices you were quoted are right all of them should be around $1000.00 and up.

Fuse Box
User Icon
Date/Time1/11/2013 at 5:02:01 PM

Great answer John from Data Wise. I like that you don't provide a price considering the variables.

Tony, If you have a fusebox it's possible it could be a 60amp overloaded box. Its more than likely you will require an upgrade to 100 or 200 amp. In your case the straight swap is a big question mark. If you already have 100amp and there is space left on the panel for additional circuits you should be pretty headache free. If you already have 100amp and its maxed out and you want a hot tub installed soon, just go to a 200amp panel now.

Bring in a few electrical contractors to assess. Keep in mind, once they get into it, if they open up something that is not up to code they have to fix it and you have to pay. It could fall outside the quoted panel change price.


User Icon
Date/Time1/12/2013 at 11:51:26 AM

Roughly 2500 to replace the box.

User Icon
John from JALS Corporation in Welland
Date/Time1/14/2013 at 8:23:34 AM

You should budget $800-$1200 depending on 100 amp or 200 amp. Make sure whom ever does it gets a inspection.

User Icon
Date/Time1/14/2013 at 1:34:00 PM

Thank you Pat.

There are so many variables to consider as mentioned by so many other posters. Does the service need to be changed, is it overhead or underground, do the feeders from the meter reach the new main breaker, does the client want CU or AL feeders if they need to be replaced, etc?

I always recommend a whole home surger protection to my clients also as suggested by Robert, but always as a separate line item as the price and quality of them can vary dramatically.



John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

User Icon
Date/Time1/17/2013 at 12:45:13 AM

Though there are many specific scenarios that can arise from panel to panel, you'd be looking at anywhere from $1,200 to $1,800.


Steve Soper, Owner

Mr. Handyman of Richmond Hill and Southwest Markham

346 Newkirk Rd., Unit 9

Richmond Hill, ON. L4C 0A9

Tel: (289) 806-4757

Fax: (289) 806-4758

User Icon
Date/Time3/25/2013 at 11:39:01 PM

I think John from DataWise hit the nail on the head. Many factors to consider. Al/Cu and don't forget the dreaded Knob and Tube. The latter being the more costly as it could lead to whole house rewiring with the new panel.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.