We will never allow businesses to pay for review alterations, editing, or removals. Published reviews have undergone strict examination to avoid fraudulent/fake review posting. Learn more.
The project went through phases of experience and I will break it down to provide a complete story.
Project Scope - including materials
- Removal of popcorn ceiling in the condo including finishing it and painting it to the quality of existing areas in condo where popcorn ceiling was not there
- Removal of existing and Installation of new laminate flooring
- Painting of interior of condo (walls, doors, trims)
Condition of the house - Moving in to a purchased condo (900 sq ft), no furniture, empty apartment (other than basic appliances)
Additional work added during the life of project was installation of two toilets
The Good: Before the start of work
- The response to our project on Trusted Pros was detailed, courteous and professionally crafted. This was different than some of the responses from other contractors which made us believe that the team is reliable and efficient.
- The contractor came and took measurements and was professional during the process and surveyed the entire apartment
- The quotes weren’t the most expensive nor too cheap. After negotiating on the final cost, we decided to sign the contract.
- One of the most important things we stressed on was the cleanliness of the house and taking care of appliances and existing fixtures.
The Bad: During the project
- Contracted timeline: 2 weeks with buffer
- Removal of existing flooring was done harshly and removal of baseboards caused holes in the drywall behind it, border under cabinet was broken. Clearly it was “demolished” as it was noted by the contractor rather than “removed”
- Removal of popcorn ceiling was done haphazardly - Blind railing was left hanging
- After the complete removal, we were told that the base of popcorn was concrete vs. expected compound and this will require additional work. This was visible after scraping the first section but the removal and additional work continued anyway without consenting which would mean additional cost and work
- Having no option but to continue, we negotiated on the cost of additional work, time (1-2 days)
- Although project was already way behind schedule, we were consistently assured upon asking that it will be done on time
- Doors, trims and ceiling used contractor grade BM paint rather than agreed upon Regal Select
- Long story short, the workers were still in the apartment right up to day 14, while the cleaning crew was already scheduled and at that point per the contractor only finishing touches were pending
- Dust all over the place, paint drops on the floor/windows, ceiling finishing not completed
- After moving in - insisting it was small touch up work the workers showed up for few days to finish it - often later than indicated times
The Ugly: Incomplete project
- Crew disappeared for 2 weeks and there was no response to our emails/texts/phone until we stated that if the work was not completed by a certain date, we would contract someone else and deduct the cost from final payment
- We were in the 5th week of project, later it was insisted upon us that crew show up after hours and stay late night and at that point we just wanted it to get it over with and get on with lives
- The pending touches on paint equalled essentially repainting the whole condo again
- We were asked to do final walkthrough later at night because crew would not be available for foreseeable future since a new project was starting. We strongly pushed back on it
- It was promised that someone will come to clean the balcony which had paint spilled over deck tiles, buckets of saw dust however no one ever showed up even after sending reminders
- And as I type this review, I am still scraping paint drops from flooring
Courteous crew and contractor. Never had trouble with that
Average on cost
Terrible in maintaining timelines
Cleanliness is questionable
Quality of work
Popcorn Ceiling removal and finishing - 5/10
Laminate Installation - 7/10
Interior Painting - 3/10
Shoma is a great Contractor providing the best of service possible. She answered all my questions and provided me with the best solutions to my current needs.
You pay for What you get and this renovation will add value to my home. I liked the pictures she showed to give me ideas.
I liked the work that was done by Empress Build. We had our main floor renovated and they were very punctual and professional the job they did was excellent. Main thing l enjoyed most was communication, no hidden costs and excellent work. I would recommend them in a heart beat. I love my kitchen and would like to thank them very much.
Thank you for your kind words.
We are pleased that you are enjoying your new custom kitchen.
KS Floors & Installation has a TrustScore™ of 3.1. The average TrustScore™ for other businesses providing similar services in Vaughan and the surrounding areas is 3.1. For detailed information on how TrustScore is calculated, click here.
The following elements are used to calculate TrustScore:
|Customer Reviews||Last 12 Months||All Time|
|Complaints Received||Last 12 Months||Last 3 Years|
|Suppliers & Creditors||0||0|
|Employees & Sub-Contractors||0||0|
|Posted License Information||Not yet provided|
|Posted Liability Insurance||Available upon request|
|Posted Workers Compensation||Yes|
|Social Media Profiles|
|Endorsed by Peers||Not yet endorsed|
|In Business Since||2012|
|Member of TrustedPros Since||2018|
TrustedPros does not validate certain information provided by contractors and vendors in conjunction with the creation or maintenance of their profile and we cannot endorse or guarantee the performance of any contractor. TrustScores are provided for informational purposes only. We urge you to use the TrustScore™ in conjunction with the tips provided in our Hiring Guide to maximize the probability of hiring the best professional for you project.
|Main contact(s)||Shoma Sewdarsan|
|DBA, formally or associated with||Empress Build|
|Listed with TrustedPros since:||2018|
|Warranty||The Contractor shall correct, at its own expense, any defects in the Work due to faulty materials and/or workmanship pursuant to this Contract for a period of 3 year(s) from the date of Full Completion. The Owner shall give the Contractor written notice of such defects within a reasonable time, and in any event within the warranty period. Special conditions limiting/affecting this warranty (if any) The Contractor will convey to the Owner any warranties by manufacturers or suppliers on individual materials, products or systems supplied by the Contractor under this Contract. The Contractor does not warrant labour and/or materials supplied by the Owner or the Owner's subcontractors. The Contractor shall protect the Work, the Owner's property and the property of third parties from damage occasioned by the performance of its obligations under the Contract Documents.|
|Accepts credit cards||Yes|
|24 Hour emergency service||No|
|Licensing information||Contact KS Floors & Installation to request licensing info.|
|Insurance information||Insurance information available upon request|
Check local laws pertaining to license requirements and verify license and insurance details provided by the contractor prior to hiring.
KS Floors & Installation has contributed 1 responses to the following questions posted in the 'Ask the Pros' forum