A Plumber with no Q of C - what is the law of punishment?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Kingston
2/25/2014 at 7:41:53 PM

Would this fall under provincial law? Would there be fines?

User Icon
Mat in Mississauga
Date/Time2/26/2014 at 8:45:53 AM

To my knowledge if it's done by the code requested by the city then I don't see any reason a plumber can be charged for doing the job. Most important make sure the code warranted for are met. It's the same as home owners doing their own electrical and calling the city inspectors to review their job. If it's approved by the city inspector then my assumption is that all the codes warranted for were met. Then I don't see any reason why they should be liable.

But please do check. Final liability is the inspector who inspected the place and gave his approval. I know most contractors will not agree with me here but lot of them do it on the site instead of calling an electrican. It's a cost of money and time too. Most do their own electrical work unless it's the full house to be wired.

User Icon
Date/Time2/26/2014 at 2:48:00 PM

Hi Sue

Conatct the Ontario College of Trades (OCOT). They have a section for compliance, reporting and fines.

Just an FYI, it is called a Certificate of Qualification (CofQ)

@Matt, your comment is incorrect and missleading regarding electrical work in the province of Ontario.


John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

User Icon
Date/Time2/28/2014 at 10:35:28 AM

Hi Sue,

A plumber in Ontario in order to open up a proper and legal business requires a Master plumbers license. Which is a C of Q certificate, and then a little bit more schooling and then another c of q test for masters license. This is also applied to electricians as they are considered compulsary trades in Ontario. You may practice plumbing as a licensed plumber, or a registered apprentice under a licensed master technician.

A homeowner is legally allowed to do any and all work on their house without licensing etc. Side jobbers or guys that do plumbing, electrical and are not licensed are the problem with our industry as Mat seems to be. Your house is your largest investment, why on earth would you ever let things that can cost you THOUSANDS be touched by people who are not supposed to be doing these.

The Ontario College of Trades is the licensing body for all red seal trades, and will provide reference for who has the appropriate license, and can punish those without it.

John is right on the money with who to check with, as well as his statement that Mats information is very misleading.

Also, bare in mind one last fact, that as the homeowner, if you contract more than one subtrade out to do a renovation, permitted or not, if there are any labour violations, accidents, etc on the job site, you by law are now considered the General Contractor and can be fined, sued, jailed as such. This is why General contractors have their insurances in place, WSIB coverages and require clearance certificates from all subtrades in order to work, to protect the home owners!

I hope this helps.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.