An electrician licence.

Question Icon
Posted by: from Niagara-On-The-Lake
10/20/2018 at 11:44:50 PM

An electrician told me that his electrician licence is not only valid in Ontario where he works mostly, but it is valid for across canada. Is this true?

User Icon
Date/Time10/21/2018 at 5:00:52 AM

Red Seal Interprovincial License is valid from coast to coast. Electrician is authorized to work Canada wide. However ge cannot pull the permit and for that he needs contractors license.

Contractors license is something that is regulated on provincial level and it gives you possibility to pull the permit and schedule the inspection for regulated work. Ask your electrical safety authority on the electrical permits.

User Icon
Date/Time10/21/2018 at 8:38:36 AM

Yes , as long as he has contractor licence for certain Provence .

You can check it on ESA website by entering the licence number .

User Icon
Robert from ElecTriLight Ltd. in Oakville
Date/Time10/21/2018 at 9:26:44 AM

Electricians can work anywhere in Canada, but their license type would show that.

Electricians cannot do work without possessing a Masters license or hold an electrical contractors license. Then must also get ESA permits for all of their work.

I hear so many people saying "the other guy said he was an electrician", or " I had a friend who is an electrician"...

90% of the time this still does not allow them to do electrical work without having the Masters and contractors license.

If they have a Red Seal License, they can jump from province to province, but still MUST have permits applied for or rewrite their license in the province they wish to work (if they do not have that Red Seal stamp)

User Icon
Date/Time10/21/2018 at 9:28:48 AM

It maybe true. College of trades only issue red seal licences. Which is across Canada. However, long ago if your passing mark was between 65-70 percent they would give you a licence only valid in Ontario.

So he can be telling you the truth.

User Icon
Date/Time10/21/2018 at 10:56:08 AM


This would only be true if the electrician has his red seal certification. Even then in most provinces you still have to pay for your electrical license to be able to do electrical work in other provinces.

User Icon
Date/Time10/22/2018 at 9:34:12 PM

Hi Richard

This is true. But as others have mentioned, this does not automatically allow him to work independently (even in Ontario).

If he is working for a Licensed Electrical Contractor (LEC) then he is good to go. If he is working independently then he is likely breaking the law because you need to have both a Master Electrician License and an Electrical Contracting License. Look for an ECRA number on his truck and run it through the ESA website. You can also run his name through the College of Trades website to confirm his license in Ontario.


John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors