Categories

Electrical data collection - Fluke VR1710

Question Icon
Posted by: from Oakville
1/29/2013 at 8:10:47 PM

Does any other electrical contractor have electrical data collectors that they have used and can give experiences with?

Single phase, 120 volt power recorder mainly to measure fluctuations around 80-150 volts.

I want to buy a fluke VR1710, but at $1200, not sure if it is worth the expense.

Some extech models are also recommended, but I have no experience with Extech (claims to be Flir family - which isn't half bad).

REPLIES (1)
User Icon
Date/Time1/31/2013 at 8:58:01 AM

Hi Robert

I use two approaches to this. If I need to long term recording (more than 24 hours) I just rent the equipment from a company. For me, at this point it was not worth the cost. As an example the certification meter for certifying network copper and fibre is almost $30,000.00. You need to be doing that every day, all day long to justify that cost, so I just rent one when needed.

For smaller job, I just use my DVM. I have a Greenlee that has an adapter that will allow a download to a laptop running the software to record whatever the meter is testing (voltage, Amps, Temp, etc). The software is configurable to record in milliseconds to hours. The only sort of issue I have had with it is that I needed to jury rig up a 9V output power supply so the meter and the clamp-on ammeter will not turn off or die.

The software exports the data to an excel spreadsheet. I have used that a number of times with great success. I have some recordings, so I will try to track one down and send it to you as an example if oyu are interested. You are more than welcome to even try it out if you want. I have not used it in a while now, so it probably needs some updates!!!

Cheers

John

John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x