Legal Basement Apartment

Question Icon
Posted by: from Toronto
8/2/2021 at 1:58:44 AM

I just bought a home with a existing basement apartment in toronto. Want to rent it but have to update a few things like sound proof ceiling and five eights x drywall on ceilings. Do all the basment doors need to be solid wood or steel or just the one that separates at main floor to upper unit. Then I want to get it inspected and registered as legal apartment. Am I doing right or wrong. Thanks

User Icon
Date/Time8/2/2021 at 2:39:27 PM

This type of projects needs an architect or engineer to create a set of permit drawings as required by your municipality and based on this drawings the contractor is able to perform the right work to code as well as the city is able to inspect and approve and issue the permit for you.

User Icon
Ian in Edmonton
Date/Time8/4/2021 at 5:12:59 AM

In all likelihood you will need to meet current Code for building, HVAC, plumbing and gas and electrical disciplines.

After ensuring you have development approval you need to apply for a building permit with drawings prepared by someone knowledgeable in Code requirements for secondary suites. I tried Googling permit plans Ontario and found such companies (not required to be architect or engineer).

You can have a shared exit with the upstairs suite. Both the upstairs suite and the basement suite require a solid core door into a shared exit (for 'resistance to forced entry' Code requirements).

Newly introduced with this edition of the Code is a requirement for sound transmission rating between suites. 5/8" drywall should not be required (it isn't in Alberta); only regular 1/2" drywall including the furnace room.

Other things to look for are egress windows for bedrooms, arc-fault breakers on just about everything, completely separated HVAC systems (no mixing of air between suites) & interconnected smoke alarms(s) including in each bedroom.

User Icon
Date/Time8/5/2021 at 1:12:28 PM

Shared entrance or single must have a fire code rated door to both units. If a entrance door is in basement it must meet fire code and also egress compliance IE: 3 feet from swing etc. There is a long list of compliance as well besides just a fire code ceiling so check yuor local planning and development agency. You need to pull a development permit to apply for a legal suite as well. You don't need a engineer involved but you will have to get it inspected.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors