I would like to know what the best method is of minimizing the potential fire hazard of aluminum wiring in my home.
Aluminum wiring in a home is not hazardous UNTIL someone messes with it. I've seen original installations in perfect condition from 1960-70. Others a complete melting hazard simply because people (handymen or non-electrician types) have no training on what is required to do with it all and calculate loads properly to avoid over heating.
Most aluminum wiring is not allowed to be connected to pot lights as it is not rated for 90 C which is a requirement for the housing of a pot light, clearly marked inside.
An inspection within the home can be done by a certified electrical contractor from the ESA or a Master electrician (309a) can review and certify if it is in good condition.
Problem is not there with aluminium wire problem occurs with receptacle where wire is attached. Aluminium wire when get hot, expands and contracts on cooling, this expansion and contraction can cause problem in receptacle which then leads to sparking or fire. So make sure to use best quality switches and receptacle to avoid such situations.
Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.Find your home service pro